11 fascinating Bristol facts
Facts about Bristol - one of the best cities to live, work and study in Britain.
- The Sunday Times chose Bristol as the best
city to live in Britain. We have since been named as one
The 10 happiest cities to work in the UK by The Guardian.
- The Campaign for Better Transport’s
Car Dependency Scorecard ranked Bristol as the second best
city for walking and cycling as an alternative to using cars. The
investment continues as a £9.4 million Cycle
Ambition Fund finances work to improve the area's cycle routes.
- The elusive Banksy helped
put Bristol on the map for street art and the city has since gone
on to wholeheartedly embrace the art form. The city now hosts the
biggest street art festival in Europe, Upfest.
- Bristol is the global capital of natural history programme
making. Over 25% of the world's natural history films are made in
Bristol, with the majority of these at the
BBC's Natural History Unit.
- Bristol has always been a city with a conscience, for example
we are world leaders in alternative energy innovation. It is no
surprise that Bristol was the first UK city to be awarded the
European Green Capital for 2015.
- Bristol is making waves as a travel destination in 2017.
Accolades include top spot in the
The best European city breaks for 2017 and a very creditable
fourth place in the Rough
Guide top 10 cities (in the world); the only UK city on the
- Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run and Creature Comforts were all
made in Bristol, home of the Oscar award-winning Aardman. Creature Comforts was
inspired by Nick Park's visits to Bristol Zoo Gardens and
features the voices of local Bristolians.
- Eating out on a budget is an important part of many students'
lives. We're proud that the we can boast one The Guardian's
Britain’s 10 best budget eats; congratulations to Edna's Kitchen.
- Building on the heritage of trip-hop and drum and bass,
pioneered by Massive
Attack and Roni Size,
Bristol continues to be a centre of musical innovation. We also
have our own music festivals including Brisfest and Love Saves the Day.
- The nightlife in Bristol has always been exceptional and
now we have the proof. Motion has been named
as one of only two UK venues to reach the top 20 clubs in the world
according to DJ Mag.
- Bristol is famed for its engineering innovation (ss Great
Britain, Concorde, etc) and its creativity (Banksy, Aardman, etc)
but did you know that it is also the birthplace of sweet-tooth
favourites Ribena and the chocolate bar?