Financial support from UWE Bristol
As well as the UWE Bursary, there are a number of UWE Bristol funds to support postgraduate and undergraduate study. The funds outlined below are usually only available to students who have enrolled on their course.
Funds for UWE Bristol students
Below is a brief outline of each fund, who is eligible to apply, and how to apply. Please note, demand for all funds is high and not all applications will be successful. Once funds are exhausted, no further payments will be made.
UWE Learner Support Fund
The UWE Learner Support Fund opens to applications from Monday 19 September 2016. The fund closes on Friday 16 June 2017.
The closing date may be earlier if the fund is spent before this date. The Summer Fund will open on Monday 26 June 2017 to support students over the vacation period.
Please see further information about the Learner Support Fund.
This fund is used to make awards to EU and international students who have experienced substantial and unforeseen financial hardship since the start of the academic year.
The limited size of the fund means that students in even the most severe hardship are unlikely to receive more than £1,000. To discuss your eligibility, please email email@example.com with a brief outline of your circumstances.
Short-term loan scheme
The Short-term loan scheme is provided by the University to help students who find themselves with a temporary cash-flow problem during the academic year, including delayed funding. The loan is interest-free, and is due for repayment within 30 days of receipt.
If your loan is agreed we will lend an amount to cover your immediate essential living costs: for example £50 per week for a single student (this can be increased to cover other costs ie childcare/travel).
Please note that short-term loans are not issued during the summer vacation. Students experiencing serious hardship during this period should contact a Money Adviser.
Before you apply
Before applying, please note the following:
- Short-term loans are only available after the official start date of your course, and only if you have registered either provisionally or in full on your course.
- Loans are not normally given during the final two months of study at the University.
- Loans may not be offered if you already have an outstanding debt to the University, or if you have defaulted on a previous short-term loan.
- Loans are not offered to students who have other sources of funding available to them (including the use of bank funds to within £100 of any agreed limit, including overdrafts).
- Students will need to repay their loan within 30 days. If you are unable to repay during this period, please contact the Funds Team.
- Unless you have the means to repay the loan, your application will not be successful.
How to apply
The application form asks for supporting evidence. In all cases this includes:
- Your most recent bank statement.
- A mini-statement dated within three days of the application.
To apply, please download, print out and complete the form below, and return it with supporting evidence (in person or by post) to the Money Advice and Funds Service, D Block Information Point (1D11), Frenchay Campus, Bristol, BS16 1QY.
We aim to inform applicants of the outcome by email to their UWE Bristol email address within three working days of receipt of a complete application (subject to workload).
Placement costs short-term loan
If your course requires you to attend placements for which you are able to claim reimbursement of the travel and/or accommodation costs, you may be eligible to apply for a placement costs loan.
A loan for placement costs is interest free and is usually repayable in 90 days. You can borrow up to the value of your claim for reimbursement. Please ensure that you submit your claim for reimbursement regularly during your placement if possible so that you can repay the loan when funds are received.
How to apply
To apply, please download, print out and complete the form
below, and hand it in with any supporting evidence to any
Information Point or alternatively, post the form to:
Money Advice and Funds Service (1D11),
Bristol, BS16 1QY
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)117 32 85678 if you have any queries about the placement costs short term loan scheme, or to confirm receipt of your application.
Tuition fee and debt remission
There are three discretionary schemes to support students facing exceptional financial circumstances and they each have their own eligibility criteria:
- Tuition fee remission: for international or postgraduate students.
- Fee waiver: for students who have incurred fee liability due to exceptional personal circumstances (eg terminal illness or bereavement).
- Debt write-off: for former students who have exceptional personal circumstances and long-term financial hardship.
See our Waiver Policy for further details including eligibility and how to apply.
UWE Bristol Go Global Bursary
The Go Global Bursary gives you the chance to apply for funding to help you undertake any of the following types of overseas opportunities:*
- A placement
- An internship
- Work experience
- A volunteering opportunity
*terms and conditions apply.
Find out more about the UWE Go Global Bursary.
Submitting your application form
All application forms should be sent to:
Money Advice and Funds Service
Information Point (1D11)
University of the West of England
Bristol, BS16 1QY
If you have a query about any of the funds listed above or require advice on what to provide with the application, please email email@example.com or call the team on +44 (0)117 32 85678.