Career Mentoring Scheme
Mentoring provides you with career support from an industry professional. Our Career Mentoring Scheme is a positive action programme aimed at students from black and minority ethnic backgrounds.
"The mentoring scheme has been such a good experience; it's also really helped me decide exactly what sort of field that I wanted to go into after uni."
Benefits of mentoring
Mentoring can take many forms but its aim should always be to encourage you to grow personally and professionally.
It can be an invaluable opportunity to learn from someone with experience in a career that interests you, through which you can develop relevant employability skills and knowledge.
Students from previous Career Mentoring Schemes have reported many benefits, including:
- practical support and encouragement in applying for jobs and accessing opportunities in the graduate labour market
- information and insight on job roles, organisations, career structure and opportunities
- individualised career planning and support
- an opportunity to assess and learn how to demonstrate key employability skills.
Mentoring Scheme outline
You’ll meet with your mentor up to four times between March and June. As a guideline, each meeting will normally last 60 minutes and will normally be conducted in your mentor’s place of work or on campus at UWE Bristol.
It’s up to each partnership to decide how and when to schedule
The Careers Service will arrange the initial meeting between you and your mentor, which will take place on Frenchay Campus during the first two weeks of March.
Am I eligible?
- The Career Mentoring Scheme is a positive action programme that’s open to black and minority ethnic background students.
- Places are limited, so priority will be given to Level 1 and Level 2 students on Accounting, Economics and Finance, and Business Management courses. We’ll also consider applications from other programmes and Level 3 students.
- You must be UK domiciled.
- You must commit to attending a briefing meeting.
How to apply
Please complete the registration form (InfoHub login required). The deadline to apply is Wednesday 21 February 2018.
If you’d like to know more about the Career Mentoring Scheme, please contact us through 'My Questions' on InfoHub – please specify career mentoring scheme as the topic.
What our students and graduates say about the programme
"(My mentor) helped me put together a distinctive
with this I have now been offered my dream
UWE Bristol student
"The experience has been delightful. It’s been great to talk
with someone outside university. Having a mentor has also kept me
going on more actively to find a job and to make sure I have
everything I need to be a successful applicant."
UWE Bristol graduate