Two students looking at and discussing architectural drawings

Changing programmes within UWE Bristol

Transferring programmes

The possibility may exist for students to transfer to a new programme, however, any transfer will be subject to academic approval and availability of places.

Transfer requests to change programme straightaway are only permitted up to 14 calendar days after the start of the teaching period:

Programme start date Internal Transfer deadline
19 September 2016 02 October 2016
16 January 2017 29 January 2017

After these deadlines transfer requests can still be submitted but will take effect from the next academic year. You will need to then indicate if you intend to continue on your existing programme for the rest of that year or temporarily leave the University until the new programme starts in the next academic year.

These deadlines ensure that you will be able to commence your new programme and modules no later than the third week of teaching and so will not miss too much content.

If your programme starts outside the main start dates above your transfer deadline will differ, please contact the Information Point to find out what the deadline will be.

Please note that in order to transfer AND temporarily leave the University (suspend your studies) you must do so before the following deadlines:

Programme start date Suspension of Studies
September 2016 07 April 2017
January 2017 04 August 2017
April 2017 10 November 2017

How to change your programme

Before registration

If you wish to be considered for an alternative course before you register, you should call Admissions on +44 (0)117 32 83333.

After registration

NHS-funded programmes at Glenside Campus

For students on NHS-funded programmes at Glenside Campus. If you wish to transfer to another NHS-funded programme you will need to contact the Programme Leader for the new award to ensure places are available.

All other awards transfers

For all other students, if you wish to transfer to another programme, you should contact a Student Support Adviser, who will be able to advise you.

  • Discuss your financial position with your funding body. A transfer that extends the date of completion beyond that of your current programme may affect your entitlement to a fee loan. If you have already used this funding for an extra year, there may be a period during which you will have to pay the full fee yourself.
  • Complete a Transfer Request form via Infohub. Please choose the appropriate form for the right level of study that you want to change to:
  • Your transfer request should be processed within a maximum of 12 working days. If you have not heard back in this time please contact an Information Point.

Important funding information

Remember, you must contact your funding body to check your financial support entitlement for your new programme. If your transfer increases the number of years it will take to complete your programme, you may be without fee support for one of your years of study. Please read the transferring awards information.

This is a complex area and you should seek advice from your funding body or from the University’s Money Advice and Funds Service.

International students

If you have a Tier 4 visa the current rules state that you can only request an Internal Transfer to another award within the same subject area as your existing programme. You may also need to prove your academic progression for the transfer to be considered.

If your transfer request is approved and also extends your total study time at UWE you may need to leave the UK to apply for a new visa before your current visa expires.

To discuss any issues around your visa or a possible transfer request please contact the Immigration and Student Visa Support Service.

Other helpful web pages

You may find the following pages helpful:

Back to top