Frequently Asked Questions


Answers to the most popular queries about submitting an academic appeal.

How do I find out my results?

The official method of publication is by the communication of results via an approved electronic means, e.g. myUWE. If you are unsure, please check with your Faculty.

I have discovered that one of my coursework marks has been incorrectly recorded. What do I do?

If you think your mark is wrong, you should immediately draw the mark error to the attention of your faculty and produce the script which you believe shows the correct mark. You do not need to submit an appeal in this case.

What is Academic Services?

Academic Services is a central University professional service; specific areas of responsibility include the Academic Regulations and Procedures and the Academic Appeals process.

It is important to remember that the appeal will initially be considered by Academic Services and not by your faculty. Therefore, when completing an application, please remember to include all relevant information, even if this has already been provided to the faculty.

I’d like to appeal but my reason does not fall within either of the specified grounds. What should I do?

The grounds for appeal, outlined below, are strictly applied.

  • Instances where there has been material and significant administrative error or other material irregularity such that the assessments were not conducted in accordance with the approved regulations for the module/award (ie instances where you believe the University has done something wrong).
  • Where your performance was adversely affected by illness or other factors which you were, for valid reasons, unable to divulge before the meeting of the examining board and which could have had a bearing on the board's decision. Students must give adequate reasons with supporting documentation why the information was not made available prior to the exam board decision being made.

'Good reason' requires a student to demonstrate that circumstances beyond their control prevented the disclosure of the relevant factors at the appropriate time. Personal embarrassment or unwillingness to disclose personal circumstances shall not count as 'good reason' for the purposes of these regulations.

Grounds for appeal which will not be considered

All appeals shall be considered on their merit. However, the following shall not be deemed legitimate grounds for appeal, and will be rejected automatically:

  • Disagreement with the academic judgement of an examining board regarding marks and/or grades or degree classification (therefore you may not request a remark of a script or scripts).
  • Appeals based upon the informal assessment  of a student's work by members of academic staff.
  • Retrospective reporting of extenuating circumstances that might reasonably have been made known at the appropriate time.
  • Marginal failure to attain a higher classification of award.
  • Lack of awareness by a student of the relevant procedure or regulations.

What is covered by ground ‘a’?

G3.3R (a) of the Academic Regulations and Procedures refers to instances where there has been an error or irregularity, eg instances where the University has done something wrong. Examples might be, but are not limited to, a proven error on a published examination timetable which was not appropriately corrected, or an error in the way the Assessment Offence Procedure (F20) has been followed.

What is the deadline for submitting an appeal?

An application for an academic appeal must be submitted within ten working days of the official publication date of the results.  It is important to be aware that both the deadline and the grounds are strictly applied.

The official publication date is published to students by the faculty in advance and will be shown on the portal result page. You cannot submit an appeal before the official results have been published.

How do I appeal?

To submit an appeal you must:

  • Read the guidance notes on the Academic Services webpages.
  • Enter the Appeal Submission Site and read the information carefully.
  • Click on the icon to open a new form. Ensure you remember to include all relevant details and information. Once submitted, the form cannot be amended. You must clearly state the grounds on which the application is based and provide a clear and concise account of your reasons for submitting the application. If the application involves the late submission of extenuating circumstances, you must state why you were unable to submit these at the time.
  • Supporting evidence can be electronically attached to the form by choosing ‘yes’ from the drop-down menu and then clicking on the paperclip icon. Original copies of evidence are not required, unless specifically requested by Academic Services.
    Alternatively, evidence can be sent separately in the post to:

    Complaints and Appeals Team
    Academic Services
    3C19/20, Frenchay Campus
    Coldharbour Lane
    Bristol, BS16 1QY

    The documentary evidence must be clearly marked with your name, student ID number and unique appeal reference number, if known, and must be submitted within the ten day deadline.
  • After submission you will receive an automatic acknowledgement e-mail. It is important that you check this to ensure the application form and any supporting documentation was submitted correctly.
  • If you wish to contact Corporate and Academic Services after submitting an appeal application form, please do so by sending an e-mail to:, ensuring that you include your full name, student ID number and appeal reference number if known.

What kind of evidence should I submit with my appeal?

It is not possible to guarantee what will be accepted; however, you may find the below points helpful when obtaining evidence:

  • Evidence should be from an independent and professional third party (such as a Doctor or a Counsellor). A letter from a friend or parent will not normally be accepted.
  • Medical evidence must be dated and must cover the relevant period.
  • A phone number, i.e. for a Doctor or hospital, will not be accepted as evidence.

Can someone act on my behalf?

Yes, but it is preferable for you to handle your application for an appeal yourself. If you are not able to do so, you may appoint a third party to act as your agent or representative. To submit an appeal application with someone acting on your behalf you must:

  • Enter the Appeal Submission Site and read the information carefully. The Third Party Application Form can be found by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page. The form should be printed and posted to Academic Services.
  • Complete a Third Party Consent form, ensuring all fields are complete. The original copy of this form will need to be posted to Academic Services along with the appeal application form. Both forms must be received within ten working days from the official publication date of your results.
  • You must ensure that all relevant documentary evidence is provided.

You will need to brief your representative and it is their responsibility to keep you fully informed. The Academic Registrar (or nominee) must have the written consent of any authorisation to act on your behalf and will liaise solely with your designated representative. The Academic Registrar or nominee will not correspond with both the representative and the student.

Once the application has been processed, the nominee will be sent an acknowledgement e-mail with a copy of the appeal form. They must check the copy of the application and save a copy for their records.

What can I expect to happen once I have submitted my appeal?

  • After submitting the form you will receive an automatic electronic response confirming receipt of your application and providing your unique appeal reference number. It is important to check that you have received the acknowledgement and to check the PDF copy of the application.
  • If Academic Services need to contact you before a decision is reached we will do so via your UWE e-mail; therefore, it is important to check this on a regular basis.
  • Academic Services will aim to inform you of the outcome of the appeal as soon as possible. An investigation can take time, but this is necessary to ensure that an informed decision is reached. The outcome will be communicated by e-mail to the address specified on the appeal application form.
  • Your appeal will initially be considered by the Complaints and Appeals Team at stage one of the Academic Appeals Procedure, and you will be notified of the outcome by e-mail within four weeks.
  • If after receiving the outcome at stage one you believe your appeal has not been dealt with properly and fairly, you can request a review by the University's Academic Appeal Panel by writing to the Chair within 10 working days.

Please note: Even where an appeal is considered by the Appeals Panel, the Panel could choose to uphold the original Examining Board decision.

How long will it take to process my appeal?

It could take up to four weeks for a decision to be made in response to an appeal at stage one, and a further four weeks at stage two if initiated. There is no guarantee that individual cases will be resolved prior to any resit coursework deadline, resit examinations or award ceremonies and the original decision of the examining board will remain valid, unless it is subsequently revised by an Appeals Panel.

Therefore, until you are informed of the outcome of your appeal, you should prepare for any resit assessments as usual.

I have an appeal pending but am meant to be attending a graduation ceremony. Should I still go?

Whilst you are awaiting the outcome of your appeal, the original decision of the Examining Board stands. Therefore, if you have been invited to attend a graduation ceremony (and wish to attend one) then you should do so.

Please note that you will not be provided with a certificate until the appeal process has been completed.

I am having problems with the delivery of my award (eg timetabling, supervision etc); what should I do?

The appeal procedure is only concerned with the decisions of the examining boards and the assessment issues considered by these boards.

If you have any problems with the delivery of your award, e.g. timetabling or supervision, you should refer to the University’s Complaints Procedure. You should approach a Student Adviser and/or the UWE Students' Union Advice Centre for further guidance.

Page last updated 2 April 2014

Copyright 2014 © UWE better together