Wessex Red bus services are operated by Wessex Connect in partnership with the University of the West of England and the University of Bristol.
Wessex Red provides a clean and efficient service for passengers. The service is not just for students, but also provides an additional transport option for members of the public. At peak times there are as many as 30 vehicles operating across nine routes, linking the University to the centre and numerous residential areas around the city.
Wessex Red bus timetables
Service changes from 1 September 2013
We are pleased to announce a significant increase in Wessex Red services from 1 September 2013:
- Service 11 - Services increased to run every 20 minutes during the day. A new Saturday service will also run from UWE to Temple Meads.
- Service 11a - Late evening service available to Bower Ashton until 21:30.
- Service 12 - Services increased to run every 20 minutes during the day. Combined with the number 11 service, this offers a service every 10 minutes from UWE to Broadmead via Gloucester Road. The Saturday service has been withdrawn (replaced by the number 11 Saturday service).
- Service 13 - Services increased to run every 12 minutes between UWE and Broadmead and every 24 minutes between UWE and Willow Brook.
- Service 13a - Service to be withdrawn due to low passenger numbers.
- Service 14 - Services increased to run every 20 minutes during the day.
- Service 15 - Minor timing adjustments.
- Service 19 - Services increased to run every 12 minutes, with additional late evening journeys until 23:20 (22:34 Saturdays).
Timetables for the above service changes will be available in August. See the Wessex Red website for full details.
Wessex Red smartcard
The Wessex Red smartcard system makes boarding more efficient. Simply scan your card as you get onto the bus instead of paying with cash.
Top-up smartcards can be credited with cash and used to buy single and dayrider tickets for a reduced price. To purchase a top-up smartcard follow these simple steps:
- Buy a new 'blank' smartcard (from Cartridge Right, or Frenchay Students' Union).
- Top up your card by paying the driver £10 to add credit.
Your top-up smartcard is then ready for use. Simply put your card on the reader and ask for a single or day-rider ticket as normal.
Term pass for students
Term passes are valid for travel on all Wessex Red services and can be purchased on the Wessex Red website.
Please note: Passengers not wishing to purchase a smartcard are still able to pay the driver with cash.