Primary and Early Years Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
Why train to teach at UWE?
Teaching children of early years and primary age is rewarding and challenging. At UWE our aim is to produce teachers who are creative, resourceful, reflective, and professionally grounded. We give you the skills to succeed in contemporary classrooms and the capacity to innovate and lead when circumstances change. UWE offer:
- Research-based learning that encourages critical and reflective thinking and continuous growth as a teaching professional.
- Active, practical, placement-based learning with a high level of support from tutors and partners in our diverse network of 250 educational settings. Placements range from inner city schools to rural primaries to give you a wide range of options for your NQT year.
- Engaged, passionate and creative tutors who are grounded in current teaching practice and the latest research.
- The chance to study and reflect with other trainees and be part of an invaluable network of peer support.
- State of the art facilities including IT skill development and technical support for your subject area and classroom practice. Our high quality teaching rooms model contemporary classrooms to give our trainees experience of an environment similar to school.
Primary and Early Years teaching courses
- Early Years Teacher Status
- Primary Early Years ITE (3-7)
- PGCE Primary ITE (5-7)
- BA(Hons) Primary Education (ITE)
- Primary Schools Direct PGCE
Our most recent Ofsted inspection in February 2014 rated UWE Bristol as good across primary and secondary education training. These are some of the key strengths the report picked out:
- “UWE Bristol trainees and NQTs make positive contributions to the life of the school.”
- “Teacher training at UWE Bristol provides a wealth of resources and practical advice, which trainees use imaginatively to engage the interest of their pupils.”
- “UWE Bristol students’ commitment, enthusiasm, and high levels of professionalism, motivates them to become good-quality teachers.”
- “UWE Bristol is well regarded by head teachers.”
- “UWE Bristol-based training makes strong connections between subjects, through a variety of ways including the curriculum days.”
- “All leaders and managers across the partnership are fully committed to improving the education and life chances of pupils in our schools.”