Applied Sciences graduate destinations
From the moment our students start, they get careers information and advice – from employers, our careers team, and their tutors. So by the time they graduate, they will be equipped with the experience, contacts and skills to succeed in their chosen careers.
Great graduate careers
Our graduates find work in public and private sector organisations in a range of jobs including:
- Environmental Control Adviser
- Cardiac Physiologist
- Quality Control Chemist
- Laboratory Analyst (eg DNA, drugs, water)
- Biomedical Scientist
- Clinical Trials Study Manager
- Scientific Researcher
- Ecological Consultant
- Pharmacuetical Officer.
Thanks to the transferable skills they develop, some go into business-focused careers such as consultancy, analysis, business and management.
Top graduate employers
The South West has a wide range of potential employers including a large research sector. Our graduates find jobs with these, farther afield or overseas. Examples of recent graduate employers include:
- Police forces – eg Avon and Somerset Constabulary
- Forensic science companies – eg Key Forensic Services and LGC Forensics
- NHS trusts – eg North Bristol NHS Trust and Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust
- The Environment Agency
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies – eg Novartis and Glaxosmithcline
- County Councils – eg Cornwall County Council
- Business sector - eg Monsoon Venue Group, Game and Biffa.
Some graduates go on to further study or research for a PhD. Courses and research areas pursued by recent graduates include:
- MSc Forensic Archaeology and Anthropology
- PGCE (teacher training)
- M.B, Ch.B. Medicine
- MSc Advanced Wildlife Conservation in Practice
- MRes Applied Sciences
- MSc Biomedical Science
- MSc Science Communication
- PhDs in Alzheimer's disease research, cancer science, plant science.
Strong employer partnerships
We have employer partners who shape our courses; give careers presentations and advice; and provide placements and work experience. They also attend our annual Science Futures Fair along with employers like Thermofisher, the Civil Service, and Avon and Somerset Police. This gives students the opportunity to learn about diverse careers across a range of sectors.
Work experience is vital in today's crowded jobs market. And while our students are here, we provide one-to-one support to help them find experience that fits their career plans.
Placement students are more likely to go into high-level graduate jobs and have a higher average starting salary. As well as helping them find a placement, we will prepare them through employability workshops. Find out more about placements.
Specialist careers support
Sector-specific careers advice is available for each department and one-to-ones are available with our dedicated team. There’s a ‘wall of work’ advertising the latest internships and graduate opportunities. And students can come to weekly careers panels, seminars and workshops to find out more about opportunities.
And it doesn't end when students graduate. Alumni can access our careers services up until three years after graduation.