Why study abroad?
Grow your personal and professional network and develop specialist subject knowledge by spending a semester or a year at one of our partner universities abroad. Increase your confidence, intercultural communication skills and boost your employability.
Study abroad provides significant employability benefits – students who have been on exchange return more confident, with improved problem-solving, team-working and intercultural communication skills. These skills, together with global ambitions – and connections – mean graduates from our study abroad programmes go on to exciting futures.
Get ahead of your peers – whatever your background
Study abroad supports social mobility. Analysis by Universities UK shows students who go abroad outperform their peers academically and professionally. They are:
- 19% more likely to gain a first class degree
- 20% less likely to be unemployed
- 10% more likely to be in ‘graduate’ jobs six months after graduation.
And, for students from under-represented and disadvantaged groups, the benefits of studying abroad are even more prominent.
Plug the skills gap
By providing UWE Bristol students with opportunities to study abroad, we’re helping ensure the UK’s workforce will be equipped to meet the changing needs of our economy post-Brexit.
Research by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) has found that:
- seven out of ten small- and medium-sized enterprises believe that future executives will need foreign language skills and international experience
- 39% of employers are dissatisfied with graduates’ intercultural awareness
- 49% of employers are dissatisfied with graduates’ language skills.
Start your global adventure
Whether you end up exploring a buzzing Asian mega-city, the quiet Fjords of Norway, the nightlife of Berlin or ancient Roman piazzas – you’ll arrive home with great memories, and a global network of friends. For many students, these are the building blocks for a future spent working and living abroad.
UWE Bristol - Go International: Stand Out
We are a campaign partner for Universities UK International's (UUKi) Go International: Stand Out campaign. We have adopted the campaign’s charter detailing principles for UK Universities to increase and diversify the number of students who study, work or volunteer abroad as part of their experience at UWE Bristol.
In our Institutional Pledge, we have committed to:
- embed outward mobility in the UWE Bristol Employability and Enterprise plan
- offer bursaries to students from disadvantaged groups
- diversify out mobility offer to engage more students by developing short-term activities.