City view of Kuala Lumpur

Travel advice

Whether travelling within or outside of the EU, it’s important to understand UK government travel safety advice for your host country, and how access help and support through UWE Bristol’s travel insurance policy if things go wrong.

UK passport holders can find further information on visa requirements and specific country travel advice by visiting the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Travel Advice website.

Before you leave the UK, check your passport is up-to-date and will cover the time that you are away - some countries require a minimum amount of time still on your passport before you enter.

UWE Bristol travel insurance

UWE Bristol's insurance policy covers students who undertake a study exchange or work placement that is a compulsory and credit-bearing aspect of their UWE Bristol degree.

This insurance provides students travelling abroad with medical, personal property, personal injury and accident cover during term time. For work placements, an agreement will also be made with the employer on indemnity insurance as part of the placement agreement and health and safety form.

Further details will be made available to students who are successfully selected for exchange or confirm an appropriate work placement. Some partners or work placements may require you to purchase additional insurance. Please ensure that you also take a hard copy of this with you as well as leaving a copy with your family or friends at home.

Please note: If you have a pre-existing medical condition and the doctor advises you not to travel, the UWE Bristol travel insurance policy is invalid.

If you are planning to take holidays before, during or after the trip, or take part in activities which are not covered, you will need to purchase extra insurance. Please note that although you are allowed to arrange for cover by more than one policy, if you are making a claim you must not claim for the same expense from more than one insurer. 

For additional private cover UWE Bristol’s insurers advise the use of World Nomads

Travelling to EU countries

UK passport holders travelling to a country within the European Union do not require a visa, only a passport valid for at least the duration of your stay. If you need to apply for a new passport before departure, check HM Passport Office’s processing times well in advance.

There will be no changes to the rights and status of UK nationals living in the EU while the UK remains in the EU. Government information on any changes to the rights and status of UK citizens studying or working in Europe after the UK leaves the EU will be published on the UK Government's website.

Travelling outside of EU countries

UK passport holders who will be participating in a non-EU international experience will most likely be required to obtain a visa for their time spent abroad. The university/company/voluntary organisation you will be with may be able to help you with the visa application – please seek advice from them.

You should also look at the website of the Embassy/Consulate of your destination country for further information. Most countries will have an office in London which should be able to offer assistance. The Government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has a helpful listing on its London Diplomatic List.

Non-UK passport holders

Non-UK passport holders should note that they may need a visa to study or work within or outside of the EU.

Students studying at UWE Bristol on a Tier 4 visa undertaking a work or study placement as part of their course should make the University aware of their visa status when applying for an international opportunity. This enables us to make appropriate arrangements for engagement and attendance monitoring whilst working or studying abroad.

For further information and advice, please speak to an UWE Bristol Immigration Adviser.

Staying safe abroad

Going overseas can be an amazing experience, but it can also be daunting and may come with risks. Make sure that you research the country in-depth before you apply to, and accept, any overseas opportunity.

Before you go find out about the culture, potential language barriers, visas, security issues and even practical things like what vaccinations do you need, what plugs are used and how to call the emergency services.

You can find the answers to all of these subjects and lots more through Global Response's Travel Advice online platform. In order to access the online platform, you will need to:

  • visit the Drum Cussac website
  • register using your '' email address
  • await a verification email and set up a password.

Once you've registered online you can download the GlobalRiskManager app supplied by Drum Cussac to keep up to date on the go (available on the App Store and Google Play).

The online platform and app also offer real time country specific alerts and both are accessible before and during your travels.

Important contact details

Please make a written note of the number below and save it on your phone:

Global Response: +44 (0)2920 662425

When to call Global Response:

  • in the event of an emergency whilst overseas
  • pre-trip advice
  • overseas support with lost/stolen luggage
  • any other travel advice and assistance related enquiry.

Back to top