Before you depart checklist
The checklist below provides a list of priority tasks to complete before you leave for your host country.
Download and print a copy of our 'study or working abroad guide departure checklist'.
6 months to go
- Embassy interview – going outside of the EU? Check with the London-based embassy of your host country to see if an interview is necessary to get your visa; book and attend if so
- Immunisations - check the NHS's 'fit for travel' site to find out what immunisations, if any, you need. Visit your GP to arrange prescriptions and necessary immunisations
- Student finance - inform student finance of your circumstances
- Research your destination - research your host country/region/city/culture before arrival
- Travel advice - it is essential to be aware of and understand documents and procedures relevant to the host country. Read our travel advice for students travelling to countries within, and out of, the EU.
- Brush up your language skills - view language apps and learning information to help you with key phrases to use when you arrive in your host country
- Stay in touch - join our Study Abroad Facebook group
3 months to go
- Banking – explore the best options to access your money overseas and tell your bank you are preparing to live abroad
- Healthcare - research how you will access healthcare and dental services in your host country
- Accommodation – speak with your host institution/company/organisation to see what accommodation options are available
- Arrange travel – book tickets, research routes and arrival at accommodation; consider buddying up with other students
- Staying in touch - look into the costs of using your phone abroad, research phone services in your host country, and think about internet access. View information about staying in touch.
- Exchange students – get in touch with previous students for tips on accommodation and settling in at your new university
- Work placement students – if you haven’t done so already, confirm your placement to UWE Bristol
1 month to go
- Contact details on MyUWE - ensure your contact details in MyUWE are up to date
- Print all copies of necessary paperwork, including your passport and visa, and leave copies at home with relatives for safe-keeping
- Money for transportation - make arrangements so that you can access cash on arrival so you can use public transport
- Pack - keep in mind airline weight restrictions
- Work placement students – finalise any outstanding details of your placement with your employer
- Download useful travel apps
We have put together a list of useful resources and websites which will help you prepare for travelling. View our list of resources.