How to apply for a study abroad opportunity
Applications to study abroad are competitive, as spaces are limited.
Applying for a study abroad opportunity through Erasmus+ or other study abroad programmes
The following information is for UWE Bristol students applying for a study abroad opportunity as part of their UWE Bristol programme of study through Erasmus+ or other study abroad programmes.
When to apply
Application deadlines are based on when during your degree course the study abroad opportunity is.
|Study abroad opportunity||When to apply|
|Sandwich placement year||Semester 1 of Level 2|
|Replacement semester 1 of replacement full year during Level 2||Semester 1 of Level 1|
|Replacement semester 2 in Level 2||Semester 1 of Level 2|
|Clinical placement abroad||Level 2|
Find out more about where and when you can go abroad.
Before you apply
- Find available options by course for your UWE Bristol programme of study.
- Talk to your Programme Leader and Tutors and attend talks or information sessions relating to exchanges in your subject area. You could also contact students who’ve previously studied abroad or been to destinations you’re considering.
- Research the range of funding opportunities available for study abroad.
- Research the institutions you are thinking of applying to, and understand how study would be different, what you would gain from the experience, and what challenges you would face. Attend a workshop for application tips.
- Consider alternative options as backup if your first choices are not available.
Apply for Erasmus+ and other study abroad opportunities
Applications are open for opportunities to study abroad starting in September 2019 (for both the full 2019/20 academic year and semester one study). This includes year-long opportunities for the full 2019/20 academic year, semester one study opportunities and Erasmus+ funded clinical placements for students of nursing and allied health professions.
Please complete the application form (you will need to register as a user so you can access the form).Complete the application form
The application deadline is Friday 14 December 2018. You will be notified of the outcome of your application in mid-January.
Students are allocated places at our partner universities after applications have been ranked based on the following criteria:
- Responses to the questions on the application form
- Academic performance to date
- Academic reference
School of Art and Design and School of Film and Journalism applications
- Applications have now closed for opportunities to study abroad in semester two of the 2018/19 academic year. Applications for semester two in 2019/20 will open in summer 2019.
If you have any questions regarding study abroad opportunities please contact us.
Applications are considered by academic staff from your programme. They may request further information, a portfolio of your work, or an in-person interview.
If successful, you will be officially nominated to the partner institution.
After you have been nominated
After you have been officially nominated to the partner institution, you will need to:
- Apply to the university where you will be
studying - this will be by following their online
procedures or by written invitation. You may need the following
when completing your application:
- UWE EUC number: 28634
- UWE Erasmus code: UK BRISTOL02.
- Apply for university accommodation at the host institution.
- Attend UWE Bristol pre-departure briefings in Bristol.
- Ensure you have the correct immunisations for your trip and find out if you need to make arrangements for health insurance (where it is required).
- Complete and return any documentation required by UWE Bristol or your host institution.
- Complete any necessary visa applications.