How to apply for a study abroad opportunity
Opportunities to study abroad as part of your UWE Bristol degree are often competitive. The application process aims to match the students who are best prepared for, and will benefit from the experience.
Applying for a study abroad opportunity through Erasmus+ or other study abroad programmes
The following information is for UWE Bristol students applying for a study abroad opportunity as part of their UWE Bristol programme of study through Erasmus+ or other study abroad programmes.
Before you apply
- Find available options by course for your UWE Bristol programme of study.
- Talk to your Programme Leader and Tutors and attend talks or information sessions relating to exchanges in your subject area. You could also contact students who’ve previously studied abroad or been to destinations you’re considering.
- Research the range of funding opportunities available for study abroad.
- Research the institutions you are thinking of applying to, and understand how study would be different, what you would gain from the experience, and what challenges you would face. Attend a workshop for application tips.
- Consider alternative options as backup if your first choices are not available.
Apply for Erasmus+ and other study abroad opportunities
Applications for study abroad programmes starting in September 2019 for both the full 2019-20 academic year and semester one study will open in September 2018.
Applications will close on Friday 14 December 2018 and students will be notified of the outcome of their application in mid-January.
School of Art and Design and School of Film and Journalism applications
- Applications are now open for opportunities to study abroad in January 2019. Please note: The application deadlines are midday on Friday 21 September 2018 for Hong Kong institutions and midday on Friday 5 October 2018 for all other institutions. Please complete the application form.
- Applications for opportunities for nursing students who started in February 2017 are open. Please note: The application deadline is midday on Monday 17 September. Please complete the application form.
If you have any questions regarding study abroad opportunities please contact us.
Applications are considered by academic staff from your programme. They may request further information, a portfolio of your work, or an in-person interview.
If successful, you will be officially nominated to the partner institution.
After you have been nominated
After you have been officially nominated to the partner institution, you will need to:
- Apply to the university where you will be
studying - this will be by following their online
procedures or by written invitation. You may need the following
when completing your application:
- UWE EUC number: 28634
- UWE Erasmus code: UK BRISTOL02.
- Apply for university accommodation at the host institution.
- Attend UWE Bristol pre-departure briefings in Bristol.
- Ensure you have the correct immunisations for your trip and find out if you need to make arrangements for health insurance (where it is required).
- Complete and return any documentation required by UWE Bristol or your host institution.
- Complete any necessary visa applications.