Female study abroad student sitting on a rooftop with mountains in the background.

Fees and funding for study abroad

UWE Bristol students undertaking a period of study abroad as part of their degree (ie for a full academic year or a full semester) are eligible for a range of funding.

Erasmus+ Grant

The Erasmus+ Grant is available to all UWE Bristol students who study in Europe. Additional funding is available for students who receive a UWE Bursary.

Standard/Enhanced Student Finance package

Students who receive support from Student Finance England (or equivalent bodies) are eligible to continue receiving maintenance loans and maintenance grants, and a tuition fee loan for any fees due, during their period of study abroad. In some cases, a higher maximum maintenance loan rate will be available because you are studying abroad.

Tuition fees

  • No Tuition fee at the host institution – You will not be charged for tuition at the overseas university where you study.
  • Reduced Tuition Fee at UWE Bristol (Sandwich Year) –  Home/EU students studying for a full year abroad as a sandwich year will pay only the placement year tuition fee to UWE (£1,125), and will be eligible for lower tuition fees in their final year.
  • Reduced Tuition Fee at UWE Bristol (Replacement Year) – Home/EU students studying for a full year abroad as a replacement year will pay only the year abroad tuition fee (£1,350) to UWE.

Please note: If you study abroad for less than a full academic year, standard UWE Bristol tuition fees are payable.

Student Finance England travel grant

Some students may be eligible for a Student Finance Travel Grant. Please visit the Gov.uk website for further information specific to Student Finance England, and also for links to Student Finance Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

UWE travel insurance

All UWE Bristol students on formal study abroad programmes are covered by UWE Bristol’s travel insurance. You should check that this is sufficient for your needs, and for the requirements of your host institution.

Host-country specific funding

Some external funding may be available specific to the country you are studying in, eg the BUTEX Scholarship for study in the USA.

Managing your money

When considering study abroad, you should research the full costs likely to be involved, and how these compare with what you would expect to spend if you remained in Bristol. These might include:

  • accommodation
  • travel costs
  • insurance (if required)
  • visa (if required)
  • living expenses, eg food
  • other costs, eg study books.

Back to top