Fees and funding for study abroad
UWE Bristol students going abroad through an exchange programme are eligible for a range of grants and fee discounts as well as support from Student Finance bodies.
The Erasmus+ Grant may be available to UWE Bristol students who work or study in Europe. Additional funding may be available through Erasmus+ for students who receive a UWE Bristol bursary.
UWE Bristol Employability Bursary
If you are not receiving Erasmus+ funding, and if you are in receipt of a UWE Bursary, or if your household income falls below £25,000 (or equivalent), you may be eligible to receive funding to help with costs associated with studying abroad. £500 is available if you spend a semester abroad, and £1000 is available if you spend a full academic year abroad.
Payments are made by bank transfer prior to travel, once students have been formally accepted at their host university.
Find out more about financial support from UWE Bristol.
Student Finance package
If you receive maintenance support from Student Finance England (or equivalent bodies), this will continue whilst you’re abroad. In some cases, a higher maximum maintenance loan rate will be available because you are studying abroad. You’ll still be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan for any fees due to be paid to UWE Bristol during your studies abroad.
- No tuition fee at the host institution – you will not be charged for tuition at the overseas university where you study.
- Reduced tuition fee at UWE Bristol (sandwich year) – if you are a Home/EU students studying for a full year abroad on your sandwich year, you only need to pay the placement year tuition fee to UWE (£1,125). When you come back for your final year, you will then be eligible for lower tuition fees.
- Reduced tuition fee at UWE Bristol (replacement year) – if you are a Home/EU student studying for a full year abroad as a replacement year, you only need to pay the year abroad tuition fee (£1,350) to UWE Bristol. You then pay normal fees for the final year.
If you study abroad for less than a full academic year, standard UWE Bristol tuition fees are payable.
Student Finance England travel grant
You may be eligible to apply for a Student Finance Travel Grant. This can help towards the cost of flights, vaccinations, visas and daily travel to and from your accommodation to your place of study. Please visit Studying abroad: travel grants for students (England) for further information specific to Student Finance England, and also for links to Student Finance Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
UWE Bristol travel insurance
All UWE Bristol students on formal study abroad programmes are covered by UWE Bristol’s travel insurance. You should check that this is sufficient for your needs, and for the requirements of your host institution.
External funding sources
Additional funding may be available from external organisations. These include:
- Unviersities UK/QS MoveON ‘Stand Out’ Scholarship – Up to five scholarships of a maximum of EUR4500 for students working or studying outside of the UK.
- Jack's Flight Club study abroad grant – two £500 grants for UK citizens or residents who will be studying abroad on exchange at a partner institution in 2019/20.
- BUTEX scholarships – £500 scholarships for students who will be studying outside of Europe on exchange at a partner institution in 2019-20.
Managing your money
When considering study abroad, you should research the full costs likely to be involved, and how these compare with what you would expect to spend if you remained in Bristol. These might include:
- travel costs
- insurance (if required)
- visa (if required)
- living expenses, e.g. food
- other costs, eg study books.
Get free guidance on all things money-related with financial education specialists Blackbullion.
Read more about banking abroad in our practical guide.