Work placements

Work placements can provide you with an opportunity to develop your skills and experience in the workplace, and put you at an advantage for getting a job in the future. UWE Bristol’s Careers Service can support you to find a placement that works for you.

Placements and your visa

If your work placement is not a formal assessed part of your study at UWE you will not be able to undertake the placement as a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa holder.

All placements need to be approved by the Placements Team as part of the confirming your placement process.

As a student with a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa you are permitted go on a placement if you meet certain conditions.  

If you applied for your leave on or after 6 April 2012, you might be able do a work placement as an assessed part of your course, even if you are not otherwise allowed to work.

Work placements can be part-time or full-time, paid or unpaid, but you can do them only if:

  • your sponsor has Tier 4 sponsor status, or 
  • your course is at degree level or above, or
  • you have immigration permission as a Tier 4 (Child) student and you are at least 16 years old.

If you are allowed to work for 10 or 20 hours a week, you can carry out this work in addition to time spent on a work placement.

How long can you spend on a placement?

You will be able to spend up to half of your course doing work placements, or longer if there is a legal requirement for this, only if you have Tier 4 (Child) immigration permission or if:

  • you have Tier 4 (General) immigration permission and
  • your course is at degree level and
  • your education provider meets the Home Office's definition of a higher education institution.

If you do not meet all of these requirements, your work placements can take up a maximum of one third of your total course.

If you are interested in doing a work placement and you are not sure if your course is at the right level or if you are unsure of the immigration rules please check with an Immigration Adviser.

Back to top