EU settlement scheme

In the run-up to the UK leaving the European Union (EU), the EU settlement scheme is now open.

Who can apply?

EU nationals are eligible to apply if they are either:

  • an EU national with a valid passport (not identity card), or
  • a non-EU citizen who has a residence card or permanent residence card issued on the basis of an application made on or after 6 April 2015
  • Irish citizens do not need to apply as they will have the same rights as they do now.

Under this stage of testing, the scheme will not be available to the family members of British citizens who are currently in the UK under EU law.


Applicants will need evidence of their residence in the UK if they choose to apply at this time.

Applicants who have a National Insurance number, will have work records automatically accessed as part of the application and they will be used to calculate your length of residence.

Other evidence may be requested which can include letters from education and healthcare providers - see Home Office information about the EU settlement scheme for examples of evidence and full details of how the application process works.

How to apply

To apply before you will either submit an online form and use the EU Exit: ID Document Check app for Android devices to upload documents or complete the online form and then go in person for identity checks. If identity documents are sent in they will be checked and sent back to you.

A paper form is available but should only be used in exceptional circumstances.

The application fee is £65.00 (£32.50 for applicants under 16 years old). From 30 March 2019 applications will be free and if you make an application before that time you will be able to apply to have the fee refunded. Details on the refund process are not yet available.

Based on the experience of UWE Bristol staff, the process is straightforward with the main difficulty being that the app currently only works on Android devices.

If your application is successful, you will be granted settled status, or indefinite leave, if you have been in the UK for a period of five years. If you have been in the UK for under five years, or cannot prove that you have been resident for five years, you will be granted pre-settled status, or limited leave. This can be converted to settled status once five years of residence is completed.

Help with making an application

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) have published detailed information on the EU settlement scheme, which answers most questions. 

Current students can also make contact with UWE Bristol's Immigration Advice Team. The daily drop-in sessions run from 10:30 - 12:00 (Monday to Friday) and 14:00 - 15:30 (Monday to Thursday) in Room P24, Frenchay Campus. Students can also get in touch with our Immigration Advisers at

Back to top