Applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa outside of the UK

Applicants from outside the EEA who wish to study on a full-time course of more than six months in the UK will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study at the University.

If you are currently overseas, you will need to obtain a Tier 4 visa before travelling to the UK. Please read the Tier 4 Policy Guidance produced by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) before submitting your application.

Your visa application

Where should I make my application?

You should apply from your home country. If you do not live in your home country you should apply from the country in which you normally live.

When should I make my application

Applications should be made:

  • before you travel to the UK
  • no more than three months before the start of your course
  • no more than six months after the date your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is issued.

How do I make my application?

You must apply for a UK visa online.

Please note: You cannot apply online if you are living in North Korea. Instead, please follow the instructions listed on the website.

The application process should take between 45-60 minutes to complete. You are able to save the form and return to it at any time.

How much does it cost to apply?

£348, paid as the equivalent in your local currency (as of 6 April 2018).

Priority services may be available. Check with the Visa Application Centre in the country in which you plan to apply.

Applications for visas that are more than six months long will also include an Immigration Health Surcharge. The cost of this is based on the length of the visa that you are applying for.

This charge is in addition to the visa application fee and separate from the maintenance requirements of the visa application.

If you do not pay the Immigration Health Surcharge your application will be refused. The Home Office may contact you and request payment before refusing your application for this reason but you should not rely on this happening.

What documents will I need to provide with my application?

Will I have to have an interview as part of my application?

Anyone applying for a Tier 4 visa from outside the UK is likely to be interviewed as part of their Tier 4 application. Interview instructions are sent via email so you must check the e-mail address that you have provided with your application. Interviews take place when you attend a visa application centre where you will also give your biometric information and submit your documents.  

The purpose of the interview is to establish that you are a genuine student and that your English Language ability is at the correct level. A UK Visas and Immigration member of staff will ask you questions and a report of the interview will be sent to the Entry Clearance Officer who makes the decision on your Tier 4 application.

To prepare for your credibility interview and for further information on what to expect, please see our guide to credibility interviews.

Will I have to undergo health screening at part of my application?

Students from some countries are required to provide a medical certificate confirming that they are clear of Tuberculosis, if they are coming to the UK for more than six months. View an overview of the health requirements on the UKVI website.

How do I apply if I am under 18 years old

If you are under 18 years old and applying for a Tier 4 visa you must only apply as Tier 4 (General) student. UWE Bristol does not sponsor Tier 4 child applicants.

Get a Biometric Residence Permit

What is a Biometric Residence Permit? 

The Biometric Residence Permit is a residence permit which holds biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (facial image and fingerprints), and shows your immigration status and entitlements while you are in the UK. The BRP is issued to foreign nationals from outside the European Economic Area who are granted leave to enter the UK for more than six months.

How do I apply?

You don’t have to apply separately for a BRP. You’ll give your personal data when you make your visa or immigration application.

When you apply for your BRP card you will be asked to insert a unique code called the Alternative Location Code (ALC) to designate UWE Bristol as your BRP card collection point. The UWE Bristol ALC is 2HE567.

When will I receive my biometric residence permit?

If you are successful in your application for leave to enter the UK for more than six months you can collect your BRP upon arrival in the UK.

How do I travel to the UK without my biometric residence permit?

Successful applicants will be issued with a vignette in their passport which is valid for 30 days from the date you indicated as your intended travel date in your visa application. The vignette is proof only of your permission to enter the UK and will allow you to travel to the UK. If you do not travel to the UK within this 30-day period, your visa will expire and you will need to apply for another 30-day visa. You will have to pay a fee for this.

How do I obtain my biometric residence permit upon arrival in the UK?

You must collect your BRP within 10 days of arrival in the UK. There are some small changes to the BRP card collection process, which now mean you can collect your BRP card from the UWE Bristol campus rather than the nearest post office.

When you apply for your BRP card you will be asked to insert a unique code called the Alternative Location Code (ALC) to designate UWE as your BRP card collection point. The UWE ALC is 2HE567.

Apply for a UK visa online

Back to top