Short-term study visa

The short-term study visa was introduced in April 2015 and replaced the ‘Student Visitor Visa’ category. Students who usually need to consider this visa route are those who need to be in the UK for a short length of time to undertake a short course, such as an English Language course, distance-learning modules or to undertake a re-sit exam where it is not possible for UWE Bristol to issue them with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

Visa criteria

View eligibility for the short-term study visa on GOV.UK.

Where to apply for the visa

  • Non-visa nationals are able to apply for the visa at the port of entry to the UK. Please see Arriving in the UK for important information about the use of eGates.
  • Visa nationals must apply for entry clearance as a short-term student before you travel to the UK.

Applying outside the UK

To obtain this visa outside the UK you will need to complete an online application form and pay the appropriate application fee.

Supporting documents required

View the supporting documents that must be provided with the short-term study visa application on GOV.UK. You will need to provide a letter from UWE confirming that you have an unconditional offer of study.

Under 18s

If you are under 18 years of age there are additional requirements that you must meet. You will also need to apply for the short-term study (child) visa. See supporting documents for details.

Conditions of the short-term study visa

The conditions of the short-term study visa are the same regardless of where the visa application is made, ie at a port of entry to the UK or outside the UK. Conditions of the visa are listed on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

Short-term student’ dependants (bringing your family)

As there is no dependant visa category for short-term students it is not possible for short-term students to bring dependants with them to the UK. Therefore spouses, partners or children wishing to accompany a short-term student to the UK will need to apply for a visa in their own right. View more about short-term student dependents on the UKCISA website.

Back to top