Female student using a computer in a study room

Applying for a visa

Find out which visa you need, and how to apply.

Tier 4 (General) student

This visa is for you if:

  • you are from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and
  • you want to study a course that lasts more than six months

Apply from outside the UK Apply from inside the UK

Read about the documents you need to make a Tier 4 (General) student application.

Short-term study visa

The short-term study visa may be for you if you want to study a course that lasts six months or less.

Schengen visa

You may need to apply for a Schengen visa if you are a non-EEA national wishing to visit certain countries within the EEA (and Switzerland).

No visa required

If you're from a country in the EEA for Switzerland and you have been accepted on a course, you have the right to live in the UK for the length of your course.

Read more about immigration and different visa types on the visas and immigration webpages on GOV.UK.

Back to top