A Taste of Science Summer School
In today’s world, the processes of a rapidly changing human and natural environment create opportunities for scientific advancement and challenges in the protection of our planet and the wellbeing of our society. This means that there is an increasing demand for graduates equipped with the relevant scientific expertise to resolve human health and other societal issues, and protect and enhance our environment.
About the programme
Our Taste of Science Summer School is an exciting 2-week programme that includes academic English classes and science workshops, enabling you to enhance your academic skills, whilst giving you a flavour of what it’s like to study science at UWE Bristol.
The course will run from Monday 15 - Friday 26 July 2019, 09:30 – 15:30.
There will be plenty to keep you busy outside of the course too. We’re arranging an exciting events programme including social evenings and excursions to other cities in the UK, so you’ll get to make the most of your time with us.
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for those students who may be thinking of studying science at university, or already studying science at Foundation level.
What are the Summer School entry requirements?
There are no formal qualification requirements. You need to be at least 18 years old at the start of the course, or 16 if you are coming as part of a group with a group leader. Lessons are taught in English so you’ll need an intermediate level of English. If you need any advice on your level of English, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will I study?
As well as attending classes on English language and culture, taught by experienced specialist language tutors, you will also have the opportunity to attend 5 workshops, each one focussing on a different area of science. The workshops will be led by staff from the Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences, in state-of-the art facilities using the latest technology. The topics for the workshops will be:
- Psychology: an introduction to the brain and its functions
- Human physiology: nerve and muscle function
- Forensic science: crime scene marks and impressions
- Biomedical science: urine diagnosis workshop
- Biological and environmental sciences: bio-indicators to assess water quality.
Find out more information about what to expect from the Taste of Science Summer School workshops.
As a Summer School student, you’ll stay in high-quality accommodation in our Student Village on Frenchay Campus. You’ll have your own en-suite bedroom in a flat for 6 with a shared kitchen and lounge area. The Student Village is within easy walking distance of the library, computer rooms, the Centre for Sport and all the social spaces. Your accommodation is included in the Summer School fees and this covers:
- bed linen, towels and a kitchen pack
- internet access in all rooms
- weekly cleaning and linen change service
- extensive 24-hour CCTV monitoring
- on-site staff.
- £1,150 for the self-catering package (No meals are included, except where stated. This is ideal for those who prefer to cook for themselves. This package is for over 18s only.)
- £1,450 for the all-inclusive package (All meals are included. This package is available to all students.)
All options include:
- tuition, including teaching materials
- social activities and trips, including dinner in a Bristol restaurant on your first evening and dinner at a restaurant during your trip to London (see below for details of trips)
- airport transfers at designated times (see below)
- transport between campuses
- Wi-Fi access inside the university
- UWE Bristol certificate of attendance.
Please note that the following are not included in the course fees:
- travel to and from the UK
- UK entry visas (if required)
- travel insurance.
- London, England’s capital city, famous for its art galleries and museums, historic buildings and great shopping. The trip includes a twilight flight on the London Eye and dinner in London.
- Oxford, ‘city of dreaming spires’ and home to England’s oldest university. There will also be an option to visit Bicester Village, where you can buy designer goods at discount prices.
- Gloucester Cathedral, where scenes from Harry Potter were filmed
- Bath, with its famous Roman Baths and beautiful 18th century architecture
- Bristol, see the sights of this buzzing university city, and end your tour with a welcome dinner at a well-known Bristol restaurant (included in the package).
All trips are with an experienced, professional tour guide.
We’re offering free airport transfers to UWE Bristol from London Heathrow on Sunday 14 July at 11:00, 15:00 and 19:00, so we recommend that you book your flights so that you can take advantage of this. If you can’t make these times or you’re arriving at another airport, you can book your airport transfer independently. Find out about accommodation and airport transfer prices. Please email email@example.com if you would like any help booking this.
How to apply
Please complete the online application form.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 82572
Find out more
Watch our summer school film.