Art, Media and Design Summer School
Spark your creativity in an environment that encourages you to develop your talent. Our strong partnerships within Bristol’s creative sector means we deliver dynamic courses at inspirational city centre venues with extensive input from professional, industry specialists.
About the programme
Our Summer School is an exciting 2-week programme that will help you to develop the creative skills and knowledge you need to study Art, Media and Design at higher education level.
The course will run from Monday 15 - Friday 26 July 2019, 09:30 – 16:30. You’ll be taught by specialist instructors, working both individually and in small groups to design and create work using your new skills. To celebrate the end of the summer school, we’ll hold an exhibition of the work you’ve produced followed by a presentation of your certificates of attendance.
The course will take place in our new design studios building, part of City Campus Development, which has recently benefitted from £20m of investment in state-of-the-art facilities at Bower Ashton Campus.
Surrounded by beautiful countryside and the Ashton Court Estate, City Campus at Bower Ashton is just 15 minutes from the cultural heart of the city. Bristol was voted the ‘best city to live in’ in the Sunday Times Best Places to Live Guide, 2017 and granted UNESCO City of Film status in February 2018.
And there will be plenty to keep you busy outside of the course too. We’re arranging an exciting events programme including social evenings and weekend excursions, so you’ll get to make the most of your time with us.
What will I study?
The programme includes skills-based workshops from the following:
- Image making using virtual reality and iPad technology
- Laser print
- Laser cutting
- Silk screen
- Letter press
- Moving image/animation
- Graffiti art
- 3D printing.
Who should attend?
The Summer School is for you if you’re looking to improve your portfolio and creative practice and if you’re considering studying Art, Media or Design at higher education level.
With students coming from over 140 countries, UWE Bristol prides itself on creating an inclusive environment and extends a warm welcome to all international students.
What are the Summer School entry requirements?
- There are no formal qualification requirements.
- You’ll need an interest in art, media and design as well as the enthusiasm to explore, take risks and learn.
- You need to be at least 16 years old at the start of the course.
- Lessons are taught in English so you’ll need an intermediate level of English. If you need any advice on your level of English, please email: email@example.com
As a Summer School student, you’ll stay in high-quality accommodation in our Student Village on Frenchay Campus. You’ll have your own en-suite bedroom in a flat for 6 with a shared kitchen and lounge area. The Student Village is within easy walking distance of the library, computer rooms, the Centre for Sport and all the social spaces.
Your accommodation is included in the Summer School fees and this covers:
- bed linen, towels and a kitchen pack
- internet access in all rooms
- weekly cleaning and linen change service
- extensive 24-hour CCTV monitoring
- on-site staff.
Summer School Fees
The fees are £2,500 and this includes:
- 40 hours of tuition including teaching materials
- All meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Social activities and trips
- Airport transfers at designated times (see below)
- Transport between campuses
- Wi-Fi access inside the university
- UWE Bristol certificate of attendance.
Please note that the following are not included in the course fees:
- Travel to and from the UK
- UK entry visas (if required)
- Travel insurance
We’re offering free airport transfers from London Heathrow on Sunday 14 July at 11:00, 15:00 and 19:00, so we recommend that you book your flights so that you can take advantage of this. If you can’t make these times or you’re arriving at another airport, you can book your airport transfer independently. Find out about airport transfer prices. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like any help booking this.
How to apply
You can book your Art, Media and Design Summer School place online.
Any questions? Please email email@example.com - they’ll be happy to help.
What our students say
Watch our films and hear what our students have to say about studying Art, Media and Design at UWE Bristol.