Students walking around Frenchay

UWE Bristol - USA

USA flag

At UWE Bristol we are proud of our international reputation. With a thriving international community of students from over 140 countries worldwide, we are the perfect UK university to study at.

Contact us  Chat now to an International Adviser

Entry requirements - USA

The experienced UWE Bristol International team will be happy to give you advice on the suitability of your qualifications for your chosen programme of study.

Qualifications listed under each heading may satisfy UWE Bristol entry requirements to that level of study. This is not a guarantee of an offer of a place, which is at the University’s discretion.

All students must also have a recognised English language qualification.

Entry onto foundation programmes

If you do not quite meet the entry requirements for our undergraduate programmes, UWE Bristol offers foundation degrees or undergraduate degrees with foundation year entry.

Entry onto undergraduate programmes

GPA (grade point average) 3.0 with one of the following:

  • Grades 3 and above in 3 AP subjects
  • or a minimum of 1000 out of 1600 in the SAT (scholastic assessment test) I
  • or a score of 21 or higher in the ACT (American college testing).

UWE Bristol accepts SAT scores directly via Collegeboard. Our Collegeboard Code is 7409.

Entry onto postgraduate programmes

Bachelors degree when awarded by a regionally accredited institution.

Master of Arts/Master of Science (Research) when awarded upon a minimum duration of two years’ study with a research/thesis component.

Masters degree (taught).

Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).

Please note: Where UWE Bristol has an academic agreement in place with an institution, greater flexibility in entry requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate courses may apply as outlined in those agreements.

What to do if you don't meet our entry requirements

If you do not quite meet our entry requirements, our International College offers a range of university preparation courses to teach you all you need to progress to UWE Bristol. We also have a range of Pre-sessional English language courses to get your English skills up to the standard required for entry to UWE Bristol.

Representatives in your country

Our extensive overseas representative network offers enquirers and applicants a variety of services.

Global visits and events

If you are interested in studying at UWE Bristol you may be able to come and meet us through one of our global visits. View all upcoming events.

International scholarships and funding

Every year we offer a large number of scholarships to international students. Take a look at the full list of UWE Bristol International scholarships to find out more.

You may also want to consider other scholarships available from organisations independent of UWE Bristol.

Funding- USA Federal Direct Loans

It's important for you and your family to understand all the intricacies of US financial aid.

Currently we are reviewing the US Federal Loan due to new guidelines. Please email our International Team at if you have any questions.  

Veteran Affairs Funding

UWE Bristol participates in the Veteran Affairs (VA) Funding programme. Please see confirmation of UWE Bristol’s recognition on the Department of Veterans Affairs website (using the following search terms: ‘University of the West of England')

If you think you may be eligible for VA funding, you should initially contact the Department for Veterans Affairs or telephone 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

The Veteran Affairs requires a certification of enrolment to be completed before they will pay benefits to students. UWE Bristol can send off a Certificate of Enrolment once you are fully registered. Please email to organise completion of the Certificate of Enrolment.

Payments for Tuition Fees will be sent direct to UWE Bristol and will be applied to your tuition fee account. If there is any surplus amount we will arrange to have this credited to you.

Progression and transfer applicants

If you are a student currently studying in the USA and would like to transfer credit from your existing college modules in order to gain advanced entry onto a UWE Bristol course (Year 2 or above), please complete our online international application form to show your academic background to date and upload your accredited learning form to your application to help our admissions team assess your eligibility.

The international application form can be submitted up to two years prior to you completing your studies. If you have not yet completed your courses then please include those you plan to take and, if eligible, you could be made a conditional offer.

We may require further module information relating to the syllabus content, so please provide the link to the syllabus content along with your application form, if possible. If coursework is included as a module, then please also include this on the accredited learning form.

How to apply

For more information on different ways to apply to UWE Bristol, please refer to our online International Application Guide*. Alternatively, you can talk to your college about submitting your application via the counselling/transfer office.

Contact us

For questions and further details on how we can process your application, please contact

*UCAS is the UK equivalent of the Common App.

Back to top