Students walking around Frenchay

UWE Bristol - Canada

Canadan flag

At UWE Bristol we are proud of our international reputation. With a thriving international community of students from over 140 countries worldwide, we are the perfect UK university to study at.

Contact us  Chat now to an International Adviser

Entry requirements - Canada

The experienced UWE Bristol International team will be happy to give you advice on the suitability of your qualifications for your chosen programme of study.

Qualifications listed under each heading may satisfy UWE Bristol entry requirements to that level of study. This is not a guarantee of an offer of a place, which is at the University’s discretion.

Entry onto foundation programmes

If you do not meet the requirements for our undergraduate Bachelor degree programmes, you may wish to be considered for a Foundation Degree.

Holders of a High School Diploma with a minimum average of 60% will be considered for entry onto a UWE Bristol Art and Design foundation.

For other courses, students have the option to undertake an International Foundation or International Year One programme at our International College. Upon successful completion, these programmes offer guaranteed entry onto a UWE Bristol Bachelor degree programme.

Entry onto undergraduate programmes

You will be considered for first year entry with a Secondary School Diploma from English-speaking Canada or a Diplôme d'Études Collègiales (DEC) from Quebec with a minimum of 70 per cent in at least five subjects.

The scores listed above are the minimum requirement for entrance to UWE Bristol, competitive programmes require higher scores.

Entry onto postgraduate programmes

Holders of a Bachelors degree from a recognised Canadian university with the following grades will be eligible to apply for postgraduate study:

  • 6.0 or more out of 9.0 point scale
  • GPA of 2.7 or above out of 4.0
  • Alpha B- or above
  • 66%-72% depending on the grading scale.

Please note: Where UWE Bristol has an academic agreement in place with an institution, greater flexibility in entry requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate courses may apply as outlined in those agreements.

What to do if you don't meet our entry requirements

If you do not quite meet our entry requirements, our International College offers a range of university preparation courses to teach you all you need to progress to UWE Bristol. We also have a range of Pre-sessional English language courses to get your English skills up to the standard required for entry to UWE Bristol.


We work with a number of education agents across the world who can support you through the application process. Find a local office near you.

Please contact our UK based experts listed below:

Country Manager

Lydia Robinson, Regional Manager AmericasLydia Robinson,
Regional Manager Americas
Based in Bristol

Contact us

Global visits and events

If you are interested in studying at UWE Bristol you may be able to come and meet us through one of our global visits. View all upcoming events.

International scholarships and loans

We have scholarships of £2,000 available to students from Canada. If you hold an unconditional or conditional offer for UWE Bristol and would like to be considered for a scholarship, simply send a short video of yourself answering the following questions:

  • Why did you apply to UWE Bristol?
  • What are you looking forward to most?
  • How could UWE Bristol attract more students from your country?

Please remember to state your name, country and UWE Welcome ID at the start of your video. Send your completed video via WeTransfer to Lydia Robinson at

The closing date for video submissions is Sunday 7 June 2020. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified after this date. Scholarships will be applied as a tuition fee discount and are offered against the first year of studies only. Recipients of this scholarship will be required to undertake ambassadorial activity for the University throughout the duration of their course.

Take a look at our list of UWE Bristol International Scholarships to find out about other available funding. You may also be interested in scholarships available from external organisations.

Canadian loans

UWE Bristol is recognised as an institution eligible to certify Canadian Student Loan applications e.g. OSAP.

The Canadian Student Loan programme allows students to borrow money from the Government to pursue higher education.

Eligibility and application

Canadian Student Loans are usually managed through the National Student Loans Service Centre and are often applied for at Provincial level. The Canadian Government, not the University, will process most of your loan - UWE Bristol will just be responsible for confirming student status and certification.

Further information on eligibility and how to apply for a loan can be found on the CanLearn web pages, and will also direct you to the National Student Loan Service Centre.

Progression and transfer applicants

UWE Bristol currently works in partnership with the following colleges:

Students transferring from these colleges are eligible for a £2,000 scholarship, applied as a tuition fee discount against the first year of studies.

If you would like more information on transferring to UWE Bristol, please contact Lydia Robinson at

Back to top