Practical experience in Mathematics
Work placements and live projects give you the chance to hone your skills and put your knowledge into practice.
Our close links with the Office for National Statistics, the Higher Education Funding Council for England, the Welsh National Assembly and Lloyds Banking Group provide great networking opportunities too.
Hands-on work helps you develop industry-relevant skills along with the confidence to use them. Our students enjoy a wide range of practical learning to prepare for life beyond university.
- Work on near-live data through the Applied Statistics Group’s consultancy links.
- Take part in activities and attend talks and conferences organised by various professional societies, including the London Mathematical Society, the Royal Statistical Society, the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, and the Operational Research Society.
- Study abroad with an exchange year at Virginia Commonwealth University. Find out more about study abroad options.
- Learn on the job with a student internship.
- Become a student ambassador for our extensive outreach programme that puts on mathematical events in local schools and colleges.
- Join a student society and take part in exciting challenges such as Formula Student – an international motorsport competition.
Real world experiences
Read about the experiences some of our students have enjoyed:
- Learning on the job gave Bethany insights into how she could use her degree.
- Mark was selected to present research at a national conference.
- A placement with the statistics department of the Welsh Government saw Emma's work make the headlines.
- Taking a placement helped Craig decide which direction to take his career.