We accept a wide range of qualifications and experience at UWE Bristol. Find out more about our entry requirements below.
- We use the UCAS Tariff system so you can work out how many points each qualification is awarded by using the UCAS Tariff table. If your qualification isn't listed, or you have any queries, contact our Admissions Team.
- Course-specific entry requirements, including subjects and grades, are listed on each course entry. Make sure you're familiar with these so you meet (or are working towards) your course requirements.
Minimum entry requirements
Honours degree courses
- You usually need two A-levels or equivalent, such as a BTEC Diploma or Extended Diploma; IB (International Baccalaureate); or Access to Higher Education Diploma.
- You usually need one A-level, or equivalent.
If you achieve the UCAS tariff points required for your course (and have passed an English Language qualification), this usually means your qualifications meet our minimum entry requirements.
However, if you’ve only taken a number of other qualifications (such as AS-levels or music and drama qualifications), contact our Admissions team and they’ll be happy to advise you on your options.
Applicants without the standard qualifications required
We encourage you to enquire about our courses even if you don’t meet our standard entry requirements.
We’ll consider your evidence of personal, professional and
educational experience which demonstrates your ability to study at
degree level. However, some courses require a specific subject at
A-level (or equivalent) and in such cases, it may not be possible
to consider applicants without this.
If you believe you have the skills and motivation to succeed, contact our Admissions team and we can discuss your application.
We welcome enquiries and applications from international applicants. To find out more about entry requirements, choose any one of the options below:
- read our country-specific information
- contact your local British Council Office
- visit the Education UK website
- email us your CV email@example.com, confirming which course you’re interested in studying, the details of all your qualifications including the examining boards and grades or scores gained.
Below you’ll find more information on our entry requirements in addition to the minimum requirements shown above.
Foundation degrees or Foundation Year entry
In addition to the minimum entry requirements for a foundation degree or foundation route, you need to have:
- at least 16 UCAS tariff points in one subject at A-level or equivalent supported by three subjects at GCSE at grade C or above; or
- a Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) recognised Access certificate awarded by an Authorised Validating Agency; or
- other European and international qualifications and/or experience which the University considers equivalent to the above; or
- other qualifications recognised as equivalent by the Academic Board.
Degrees (except Art, Media and Design)
In addition to the minimum entry requirements, you need to have:
- at least 32 UCAS tariff points in two subjects at A-level or in one subject at A-level double award or equivalent supported by three subjects at GCSE at grade C or above; or
- three subjects at grade C or above in Higher Grade of the Scottish Certificate of Education supported by two subjects at Standard Grade 3 or above or Intermediate 2; or four subjects at grade C or above at Higher Grade; or
- National Vocational Qualifications or Scottish Vocational Qualifications Level III in the number of subjects specified in the regulations for the award; or
- a QAA recognised Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an Authorised Validating Agency; or
- the European Baccalaureate; or
- the International Baccalaureate; or
- other European and international qualifications which are nationally recognised as being the equivalent to the above; or
- such other qualifications as may be recognised as equivalent by
the Academic Board:
- Degrees in Art, Media and Design
- BA Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
- Access to Higher Education Diploma
- International applicants
Degrees in Art, Media and Design
Many of our applicants for practice-based courses have studied a Foundation Studies Diploma, BTEC National Diploma or equivalent in art and design or creative media.
If you’re an A-level student applying directly for a degree course, you must have passed at least two A-levels or equivalent, plus GCSE English Language. You’ll also need to demonstrate a practical ability and an understanding of your chosen area of study.
All art, design and media courses pre-select applicants to invite to a selection session, as long as they meet the minimum entry requirements and the UCAS deadline.
If you’re invited to a selection session, we’ll advise you on what to include in your portfolio and how to prepare. This may include some examples of interview questions and a task to complete before the interview.
BA Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
In addition to the minimum entry requirements, you need to:
- have passes in five GCSEs or equivalent, including English Language, Maths and Science.
- satisfy the Department of Education and Childhood about your suitability for the teaching profession and your ability to undertake a training course.
- provide a satisfactory Declaration of Health and a further declaration on criminal convictions (Disclosure and Barring Service clearance) before taking up your place.
- be competent in English. You may need to provide evidence of this at interview.
- have passed professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy.
For further information on the requirements for Initial Teacher Training (ITT) please visit the Department for Education website.
Read more on our entry requirement policies:
- Admissions policy pdf.
- Statement on Changes to Qualifications in Schools and Colleges in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland pdf.
How to apply
View information and guidance about applying to study with us.