See below for helpful information on entry requirements for
Changes to the UCAS Tariff: UCAS has introduced a new system to attribute tariff points to qualifications. This will apply to all undergraduate courses, starting from September 2017 onwards. Find out more about the new UCAS Tariff.
We accept a wide range of qualifications and experience at UWE Bristol, but try to keep our entry requirements as straightforward as possible.
You will see entry requirements for undergraduate courses at the top of each course listing. They detail the specific requirements and subjects/grades needed for each programme. Please check these to ensure you meet (or are working towards) the appropriate entry requirements for your chosen course.
Like many universities, we use the UCAS Tariff system. You can work out how many points your qualifications are awarded by using the UCAS Tariff table. If your qualification is not listed, or you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum entry requirements
For an Honours degree course you normally need two A-levels or the equivalent, such as a BTEC Diploma or Extended Diploma; IB (International Baccalaureate); or Access to Higher Education Diploma. For foundation courses, you normally need one A-level, or equivalent.
Students who achieve the UCAS Tariff points required (and have passed an English Language qualification) almost always have gained qualifications which meet our minimum entry requirements. However, if you’ve only taken a number of other qualifications (such as AS levels or Music and Drama qualifications) you should email email@example.com for advice.
Applicants with other qualifications or experience
UWE Bristol welcomes interest from applicants who may not have the standard entry requirements. We’ll always consider evidence of personal, professional and educational experience which show an ability to meet the demands of a degree. Some courses require a specific subject at A-level (or equivalent) and it may not be possible to consider applicants without this prior study. If you believe you have the motivation and skills to succeed, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss your application.
Foundation Degrees of Foundation Year Entry
In addition to the minimum entry requirements required for a chosen foundation degree or foundation route, applicants must have:
- at least 16 UCAS Tariff points in one subject at Advanced General Certificate of Education (GCE A-level) or equivalent qualification supported by three subjects at General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE*) at grade C or above; or
- a Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) recognised Access certificate awarded by an Authorised Validating Agency; or
- such other European and international qualifications and/or experience which the University considers equivalent to the above; or
- such other qualifications as may be recognised as equivalent by the Academic Board.
Degrees (except Art, Media and Design)
In addition to the minimum entry requirements required for a chosen course, applicants must have:
- at least 2 UCAS tariff points in two subjects at Advanced General Certificate of Education (GCE A ) or in one subject at GCE A-level double award or equivalent qualification supported by three subjects at General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE*) at grade C or above; or
- three subjects at grade C or above in Higher Grade of the Scottish Certificate of Education supported by two subjects at Standard Grade 3 or above or Intermediate 2; or four subjects at grade C or above at Higher Grade; or
- National Vocational Qualifications or Scottish Vocational Qualifications Level III in the number of subjects specified in the regulations for the award; or
- a QAA recognised Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an Authorised Validating Agency; or
- the European Baccalaureate; or
- the International Baccalaureate; or
- such other European and international qualifications which are nationally recognised as being the equivalent to the above; or
- such other qualifications as may be recognised as equivalent by
the Academic Board:
- Degrees in Art, Media and Design.
- BA Initial Teacher Education (ITE).
- Access to Higher Education Diploma.
- International applicants.
Degrees in Art, Media and Design
Many of our applicants to practice-based courses will have studied for a Foundation Studies Diploma, BTEC National Diploma or an equivalent qualification in art and design or creative media.
A-level and AVCE students applying direct to degree programmes must have passed at least two A-levels or equivalent, plus GCSE English Language. You will need to be able to demonstrate a practical ability and an understanding of your chosen area of study.
All art, design and media courses preselect applicants to invite to a selection session, subject to meeting the minimum entry requirements and the UCAS deadline.
Applicants invited to selection sessions are provided with specific guidance on what to include in their portfolio and how to prepare. This may include examples of questions that will be asked and a task to complete prior to interview.
BA Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
In addition to the minimum entry requirements required for a chosen course, applicants must:
- have passes in five subjects at GCSE* or equivalent, including English Language, Mathematics and Science (preferably double science or two sciences or equivalent.
- satisfy the Department of Education and Childhood about their suitability for the teaching profession and their ability to undertake a course of training.
- provide a satisfactory Declaration of Health and a further declaration on criminal convictions (Criminal Records Bureau clearance) before taking up their place.
- show competence in the use of English Language. Evidence of this may be required at interview.
For further information on the requirements for Initial Teacher Training (ITT) please visit the Department for Education website.
We welcome enquiries from international applicants. For advice about entry requirements please do one of the following:
- read our country-specific information
- contact your local British Council Office
- visit the Education UK website
- email your CV to email@example.com, telling us which subject you are interested in studying, and giving us details of all the qualifications you hold, examining boards and grades or scores obtained.
Full details about UWE Bristol’s entry requirement policies can be found here: