Specific learning difficulties (including dyslexia)


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose any disability and support needs they might have. Without this information, we will not be able to offer you the appropriate information and we would be unable to offer you the appropriate information and support eg exam adjustments.

If you have not already disclosed via your application form, you can contact Disability Service.


In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your disability or medical condition.

For guidelines on appropriate disability evidence please read the Student Finance Eligibility information.


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) may be available from your funding body to support your studies. Depending on your eligibility, funding can cover such things as study skills tuition, note taking etc.

DSA is non-means tested and is available alongside any other funding you may receive. For more information about DSAs, visit the Student Finance website.

DSA support and equipment is normally recommended in a Study Needs Assessment. Once your funding body confirms you are eligible for support, a trained assessor will carry out an assessment of needs. This assessment can be booked through Access West of England which is based on Frenchay Campus.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. For more information contact Disability Service.

Study support

The support and equipment you will receive at the University is normally decided through your DSA Study Needs Assessment. Depending on your support needs, the following may be applicable to you:

  • One-to-one specialist tuition (non-subject specific) to help with structuring and organising written work as well as other study skills.
  • Provision of assistive technology (equipment and software).
  • Exam adjustments such as extra time or the use of a computer.
  • Books, printing and photocopying allowances.

Additional support

The Dyslexia/SpLD Service provides information, support and advice to over 1,500 UWE Bristol students who have dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties. Specific learning difficulties affect around 4% of the student population and include dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia and ADHD/ADD.

Individual faculties can provide subject specific support through their own Study Skills Centres and PAL sessions.


If you are unsure whether you have a specific learning difficulty, please see our information on Recognising Specific Learning Difficulties for information about common signs.

If you had an assessment for an SpLD before your sixteenth birthday, you will need a new diagnostic assessment.

More information about being assessed is available in our Recognising Specific Learning Difficulties section. This is required evidence to apply for Disabled Students Allowances funding.

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan

While on University premises, you must be able to leave buildings safely in the event of a fire or other emergency.

If you cannot evacuate yourself in an emergency situation and need help to make a safe exit, or if you want to know how your evacuation would work, please contact your Programme Leader. They can set up a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) with you that is tailored to your needs.

Back to top