Temporary disabilities and other disabilities


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose any disability and support needs they might have. Without this information, we would be unable to offer you the appropriate information and support eg exam adjustments.

If you have not already disclosed via your application form, you can contact Disability Service, who provide advice and support regarding any temporary disability.


In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your disability or medical condition.

For guidelines on appropriate disability evidence, please visit the Student Finance Eligibility website.


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) is available from your funding body for long-term (over 12 months) disabilities or medical conditions. Depending on your eligibility, funding can cover equipment and support.

DSA is non-means tested and is available alongside any other funding you may receive. For more information about DSAs, visit the Student Finance website.

DSA support and equipment is normally recommended in a study needs assessment. Once your funding body confirms you are eligible for support, a trained assessor will carry out an assessment of needs. This assessment can be booked through Access West of England which is based on Frenchay Campus.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. For more information contact Disability Service.

Study support

We may provide the following depending on your support needs:

  • Accessible car parking
  • Exam adjustments such as extra time, scribe etc
  • Reasonable adjustments to your teaching and learning and to deadlines
  • Support workers

Individual faculties can provide subject specific support through their own Study Skills Centres and PAL sessions.

Additional support

Assistive Technologies at UWE Bristol can loan certain equipment through referral from Disability Service and also provides assistance with specialist software and formatting.

Disability Service at UWE Bristol do not loan specialised equipment such as wheelchairs. Please contact one of the local equipment loan providers below:

NHS 111 service

If you require medical advice, emergency appointments or health information, ring the NHS helpline on 111.

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan

While on University premises, you must be able to leave buildings safely in the event of a fire or other emergency.

If you cannot evacuate yourself in an emergency situation and need help to make a safe exit, or if you want to know how your evacuation would work, please contact your Programme Leader. They can set up a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) with you that is tailored to your needs.

Back to top