Mental health conditions

The University offers a range of individual support to students who experience short or long-term mental health conditions, and recognises that there are a range of access needs that may be appropriate, depending upon your circumstances and choice of course.


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose any disability and support needs they might have. Without this information, we would be unable to offer you the appropriate information, guidance and support to enable you to access your studies eg exam adjustments.

If you have not already disclosed via your application form, you can contact Disability Service.


In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your disability or medical condition.

For guidelines on appropriate disability evidence, please read the Student Finance Eligibility information.


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) may be available from your funding body to support your studies. Depending on your eligibility, funding can cover such things as study skills tuition and specialist equipment.

DSA is non-means tested and is available alongside any other funding you may receive. For more information about DSAs, visit the Student Finance website.

DSA support and equipment is normally recommended in a Study Needs Assessment. Once your funding body confirm you are eligible for support, a trained assessor will carry out an assessment of needs. This assessment can be booked through Access West of England which is based on Frenchay Campus.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. For more information contact Disability Service.

Study support

The support and equipment you will receive at the University is normally decided through your DSA Study Needs Assessment. Depending on your support needs the following may be applicable to you:

  • Recording devices for lectures and seminars
  • Specialist mentoring support to help with organisation and structure of work, time management and planning
  • Provision of assistive technology (equipment and software)
  • Exam adjustments such as extra time, rest breaks, separate room etc

You may also find useful support on the study support pages, and individual faculties can provide subject specific support through their own Study Skills Centres and Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) sessions.

Wellbeing Service

The Wellbeing Service provides structured appointment-based support to UWE Bristol students across all campuses. They offer students an initial Therapeutic Consultation to assess their needs and recommend appropriate actions, which may include counselling or mental health support. Counselling is a reflective therapeutic intervention, and mental health support involves creating a personalised action plan to help manage symptoms or difficulties, build upon self-care skills and coping mechanisms, and coordinate with other support services (including the NHS) as needed.

Please visit the Wellbeing Service for more information or contact us at or +44 (0)117 32 86268.

The Wellbeing Service can make referrals directly to NHS specialist teams and other external provides if needed and have a close working relationship with local mental health services. 

Community mental health services

If you are already accessing community mental health services, you may find it helpful to discuss your decision to apply for a higher education course with your psychiatrist, psychologist or CPN if you have not already done so. Getting their professional opinion may help you to decide if this is right for you.

If you are using mental health services and will have to move some distance to study at UWE Bristol, you will need to register with a new GP when you come to Bristol and talk to your current GP and care team about arranging a transfer of care to Bristol mental health services, so this is in place for your arrival.

If you already have support from NHS Mental Health Services, we would recommend that you talk to your care coordinator or consultant about referral to local NHS services if they feel that you need to continue receiving support while at university. We would recommend that these referrals/transfers of care take place before you arrive at university to make sure that you avoid a gap in support. We would also recommend that you register with a local GP as soon as you arrive. 
If you are not currently receiving support from local mental health services and feel you would benefit from this input, please discuss this with your GP.

Please note: The Disabled Students’ Allowances do not fund support that is directly medical or personal-care related. This continues to be provided by health or social services departments.

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan

While on University premises, you must be able to leave buildings safely in the event of a fire or other emergency.

If you cannot evacuate yourself in an emergency situation and need help to make a safe exit, or if you want to know how your evacuation would work, please contact your Programme Leader. They can set up a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) with you that is tailored to your needs.

Back to top