Deafness and hearing impairments


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose any disability and support needs they might have. Without this information, we would be unable to offer you the appropriate information, guidance and support to enable you to access your studies eg exam adjustments.

If you have not already disclosed via your application form you can contact Disability Service.


In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your disability or medical condition.

For guidelines on appropriate disability evidence please visit the Student Finance Eligibility web page.


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) may be available from your funding body to support your studies. Depending on your eligibility funding can cover such things as study skills tuition, specialist equipment etc.

DSA is non means tested and is available alongside any other funding you may receive. For more information about DSAs visit the Student Finance website.

DSA support and equipment is normally recommended in a Study Needs Assessment. Once your funding body confirms you are eligible for support, a trained assessor will carry out an assessment of needs. This assessment can be booked through Access West of England which is based on Frenchay Campus.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. For more information contact Disability Service.

Study support

The support and equipment you will receive at the University is normally decided through your DSA Study Needs Assessment. Depending on your support needs the following may be applicable to you:

  • Note taking support in lectures.
  • Access to British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters.
  • Study Skills/literacy/mentoring support.
  • Radio aids or portable loop systems.
  • Alternative formatting including subtitling of course materials.
  • Provision of assistive technology (equipment and software).
  • Exam adjustments such as extra time, written instruction, prompt etc.
  • Printing and photocopying allowances.

Individual Faculties can provide subject specific support through their own Study Skills Centres and PAL sessions.

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan

While on University premises, you must be able to leave buildings safely in the event of a fire or other emergency.

If you cannot evacuate yourself in an emergency situation and need help to make a safe exit, or if you want to know how your evacuation would work, please contact your Programme Leader. They can set up a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) with you that is tailored to your needs.

If you require a vibrating fire alarm alerter, you can collect one from room 1D15 on Frenchay Campus. Alternatively, please contact the Disability Service to arrange a time to pick up the device.

Further information

To find out more information about the Disability Service, the support that may be available to you or if the information on these pages does not answer all your questions, please contact Disability Service.

Back to top