Autistic Spectrum Condition


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose any disability and support needs they might have. Without this information, we would be unable to offer you the appropriate information, guidance and support to enable you to access your studies eg exam adjustments.

If you have not already disclosed via your application form, you can contact Disability Service.


In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your disability or medical condition.

For guidelines on appropriate disability evidence, please read the Student Finance Eligibility information.


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) may be available from your funding body to support your studies. Depending on your eligibility, funding can cover such things as study skills tuition, specialist equipment etc.

DSA is non-means tested and is available alongside any other funding you may receive. For more information about DSAs visit the visit the Student Finance website.

DSA support and equipment is normally recommended in a Study Needs Assessment. Once your funding body confirm you are eligible for support, a trained assessor will carry out an assessment of needs. This assessment can be booked through Access West of England which is based on Frenchay Campus.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. Contact Disability Service for more information.

Study support

There is a range of support and adjustments available at UWE Bristol. Support options for students who have Autistic Spectrum Condition may include:

  • specialist mentor support
  • study skills tuition
  • provision of assistive technology (equipment and software)
  • exam adjustments such as extra time, rest breaks, separate room etc
  • printing and photocopying allowances
  • Disability Service can help you share your needs with academic staff

Additional support

If you wish to transfer support that you currently receive from Social Services, please discuss this with your social services department.

If you feel that you may need support or assistance moving away from home, use the links below for more information.

If you require further information on support, please contact Disability Service.

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan

While on University premises, you must be able to leave buildings safely in the event of a fire or other emergency.

If you cannot evacuate yourself in an emergency situation and need help to make a safe exit, or if you want to know how your evacuation would work, please contact your Programme Leader. They can set up a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) with you that is tailored to your needs.

Back to top