Information on how to apply for a reasonable adjustment to your coursework deadlines due to exceptional circumstances.
If you require additional time to complete a piece of work, you may be able to apply for a reasonable adjustment to your deadline.
If your circumstances mean you are unable to submit your coursework by the deadline, please find out more about the options available to you – these could include personal circumstances or a five working day extension.
You should notify Disability Service as soon as you realise you might have difficulty meeting a deadline (at least 24 hours’ notice) as we will need time to consider your request and consult with relevant academic staff.
Reasonable adjustment criteria
You may be eligible for a reasonable adjustment if you meet the below criteria – and you need more than five working days beyond the original deadline to complete the work.
1. For disabled students:
- where you are affected disproportionately, because of your disability, by other illnesses or events
- where your disability is fluctuating or episodic
- where your disability, mental health condition, medical condition or specific learning difficulty – such as dyslexia – has been diagnosed within the last six months.
2. For other students:
- where you are a primary carer of a disabled person.
- where you have a temporary disability or shorter but very severe illness with appropriate medical evidence, eg a broken arm which would affect your ability to finish your assignment
- where you are pregnant or a parent with a baby under six months old.
Please complete the Reasonable adjustment to deadline request form (InfoHub login required):
If you have any difficulties or would like to discuss your request, please make an appointment with a Disability Adviser in person at an Information Point or by calling +44(0)117 32 85678.
If you don't meet the reasonable adjustment criteria
Guidelines for deadline adjustments
- All requests for five working day extensions should be made using the five working day extension process. The only exception to this is applications for adjustments to deadlines for resit coursework, for which you will need to use the Reasonable adjustment to deadline form.
- Any adjusted deadline date will not normally be any later than one week before the relevant Field Board.
- Longer changes to deadlines (over two weeks) are extremely rare and may be more appropriately dealt with via the University’s personal circumstances policy or through an appointment with a Student Support Adviser.
- Adjustments to deadlines cannot normally be considered retrospectively, unless there is a compelling reason why you could not apply in advance of the coursework assessment deadline.
- Where you have been granted a reasonable adjustment to a deadline, or a five working day extension, further adjustments to the deadline for the same piece of work will not normally be considered. However, if there has been an additional impact on your ability to meet the revised deadline, a further adjustment could be considered. You must clearly explain this additional impact when making a further request.
- Repeated requests for this type of reasonable adjustment throughout your study would involve Disability Service having a detailed review of your existing support.
- If you are a postgraduate researcher (PhD, DPhil, MPhil) and you are looking for a reasonable adjustment to a deadline for one of your taught modules, please go ahead and submit the form. If you are looking to discuss a reasonable adjustment to a progress review or final assessment, please contact the Graduate School.