Group of students studying in a common room

Reasonable adjustments to deadlines

Information on how to apply for a ten working day reasonable adjustment to your coursework deadlines due to exceptional circumstances.

If you require additional time to complete a piece of work, you may be able to apply for a five working day extension or a reasonable adjustment to your deadline. A reasonable adjustment to deadline will usually provide you with an additional ten working days to your deadline.

If your circumstances mean you are unable to submit your coursework by the deadline, please find out more about the options available to you – these could include personal circumstances (such as a five working day extension) or the 24-hour window.  

You should notify Disability Service through the reasonable adjustment to deadline request form as soon as you realise you might have difficulty meeting a deadline (at least 48 hours’ notice), as we will need time to consider your request and consult with relevant academic staff.

Please note: During the resit period, you can apply for an adjustment of a maximum of five working days.

Reasonable adjustment criteria

You may be eligible for a reasonable adjustment if you meet the below criteria – and you need ten working days beyond the original deadline to complete the work.

If you require five working days please do not proceed with this form. Please request your five working day extension via the five working day extension process.

Disabled students

1. For disabled students:

  • Where you are affected disproportionately, because of your disability, by other illnesses or events.


  • Where your disability is fluctuating or episodic.


  • Where your disability, mental health condition, medical condition or specific learning difficulty – such as dyslexia – has been diagnosed within the last six months.

Other students

2. For other students:

  • Where you are a primary carer of a disabled person.
  • Where you are pregnant or a parent with a baby under six months old.

Please note the guidance for applying has changed.

Guidelines for deadline adjustments

Please note the guidance for applying has changed.

All requests for five working days should be made using the five working day extension process. The only exception to this is applications for adjustments to deadlines for resit coursework, for which you will need to use the reasonable adjustment to deadline form. Please note you will not be able to apply for more than five working days for resit coursework.

Applications for reasonable adjustments to deadlines must be made at least two full working days before your assignment submission date, and not usually any earlier than 10 working days prior to the deadline. If you are outside of these timeframes you need to explain why. A reason for applying earlier than 10 working days before the deadline could be to manage around a planned surgery or other event.

Adjustments to deadlines cannot be considered retrospectively, unless there is a compelling reason why you could not apply in advance of the coursework assessment deadline. You must explain why you have not been able to apply before two working days before the deadline in your application.

Where you have been granted a reasonable adjustment to a deadline, or a five working day extension, further adjustments to the deadline for the same piece of work will not be able to be considered. You may be able to apply to complete the work at a later date via the University’s missed assessments process. Please contact an Information Point for further guidance.

Postgraduate researchers

If you are a postgraduate researcher (PhD, DPhil, MPhil) and you are looking for a reasonable adjustment to a deadline for one of your taught modules, please go ahead and submit the form. If you are looking to discuss a reasonable adjustment to a progress review or final assessment, please contact the Graduate School.

Supporting/Medical evidence

In order to process your request for an reasonable adjustment to deadline we will need to see some medical/supporting evidence which provides us with information about your current needs and situation.

Medical evidence

We would usually ask for medical evidence to be a letter or report from a GP or other medical professional that you have seen recently. The medical evidence should include the following information:

  • Your name and personal information e.g. date of birth, address etc.
  • A date to show when it was written.
  • Confirmation of a diagnosis or information about your current situation.

If you are pregnant then please provide a copy of your MATB1 form or a copy of medical correspondence which confirms your expected delivery date.

We do not accept photocopies of prescriptions, letters from the UWE Wellbeing Service or photos of your injury.

Evidence of your caring responsibilities

We ask that you provide us with evidence of your caring responsibilities. This may include:

  • A letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that the student is in receipt of carers allowance.


  • A letter from a medical/social care professional working with the person being cared for e.g. mental health practitioner, social worker, consultant, GP. The letter needs to outline:
    • Disabled adult/child’s diagnosis/needs.
    • Type of caring support provided (emotional support, personal care, shopping etc).

If you require further advice regarding the best type of evidence to supply then please contact Information Point by calling +44(0)117 32 85678.

Application process

If you would like to apply for:

  • An additional five working days to be added to your coursework deadline please request this via the five working day extension process.
  • A deadline adjustment of more than five working days please complete the reasonable adjustment to deadline request form (InfoHub login required).
  • Resit period: the five working day extension process is not available during resit periods. Please note that during resit periods, you can apply for a reasonable adjustment to deadline adjustment for a maximum of five working days.

If you have any difficulties or would like to discuss your request, please make an appointment with a Disability Adviser in person at an Information Point or by calling +44(0)117 32 85678.

If you don't meet the reasonable adjustment criteria

There are other options if you do not meet the reasonable adjustment criteria but have experienced something significant that affects your ability to sit an exam or submit a piece of coursework. Please find out more about the options available to you.

Back to top