Disability disclosure and accessing support

Please see below the four main steps to consider when applying to UWE Bristol in terms of disclosing your disability and getting access to support. View general guidance regarding submitting an application.

Step one - disclosing your disability in your application form

When you apply to the University you will have the opportunity to disclose that you have a disability or medical condition. You are strongly encouraged to disclose any disability on your application to the University. This allows us to help you identify any disability-related support needs and to make sure you receive correct advice and guidance about how your needs can be met.

Step two - access and support needs questionnaire

Once you disclose a disability or medical condition on your application form, the University receives this information and automatically sends you an Access and Support Needs Questionnaire via the UWE Welcome Portal.

You can complete the questionnaire online or you may request this in another format if you prefer. The questionnaire is designed to help us work out what information and advice you will need in order to apply for the right funding, as well as any support, equipment and adjustments that you need set up for when you arrive. Please ensure you engaged with this process and any follow up contact. Failure to do so may mean delays in meeting your needs.

Once we have received your completed questionnaire, we may decide to send you an information sheet; offer you a telephone or in-person appointment with a Disability Adviser; or invite you to an informal meeting with both a Disability Adviser and academic staff from your faculty, in order to discuss support and adjustments.

The information that you provide at this stage will not be taken into account when making your academic offer.

Step three - evidence

In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your disability or medical condition. Appropriate medical evidence required is outlined below.

Disability or medical condition

What evidence is appropriate?

GP/Consultant letter

How recent does this evidence have to be?

This depends on the disability or medical condition so please bring any evidence you have and we will advise.

What should the evidence contain?

GP/Consultant letters should contain:

  • confirmation that you have a physical impairment or mental health condition that has a substantial and long term negative effect on your ability to carry out normal daily activities
  • evidence that needs to state the length of time the condition or impairment has been present and whether it is likely to last for a long time
  • evidence that should detail effects on study that are observed or predicted at this time eg any mobility issues, sleep disturbance resulting in fatigue, concentration problems, lack of motivation, difficulties with taking notes etc.

Who covers the cost?

Students are required to meet the costs of any reports or letters.

Specific Learning Difficulty (including Dyslexia)

What evidence is appropriate?

Diagnostic assessment

What should the evidence contain?

Diagnostic assessment should:

  • show confirmation that you have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) eg Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, ADD or ADHD
  • have evidence stating that the report meets the ‘SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines for Assessment of SpLDs in Higher Education’
  • show that the assessment was provided by a psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher.

Who covers the cost?

UWE Bristol provides diagnostic assessments and students are responsible for paying the full amount. However, there is a diagnostic fund available that may reduce the full amount for current UWE students. To book or enquire about prices, please email spld@uwe.ac.uk, call +44 (0)117 32 83396 or visit 2P39 on Frenchay Campus.

Find out more about SpLD diagnosis.

Step four - support funding

Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) is provided by your funding body. Depending on your needs, DSA funding may cover such things as study skills tuition, mentoring etc.

DSA is non-means tested and would be available alongside any other funding you may receive. View more information about DSA.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. Contact the Disability Service for more information.

Related documents

Back to top