Being a disabled student at UWE Bristol

What programme should I study?

You can get advice from the careers and employability service. The careers service can offer guidance about which programmes might suit you and what career paths they will lead on to.

Should I study full time or part time?

If your impairment means that you are likely to have frequent problems attending, part-time study may suit you better than full-time.

It may be possible to switch between full-time and part-time study for different years of your award. You can discuss this possibility by booking an appointment with a Student Support Adviser.

It is often better to take a longer period of time to complete your award by studying part time than it is to struggle on a full-time course.

Will I be able to access the award I want to study even though I am disabled?

Approximately 3,000 disabled students study at UWE Bristol on a variety of different programmes. Many are receiving some form of disability-related support.

Your ability to access the programme you want to study will depend on:

  • the disability-related support needs you have in relation to the demands of the course you wish to study
  • the availability of support to meet any requirements you have identified
  • adjustments that you may need to the way the course is taught or assessed.

What disability-related support might I need in order to study?

You should think about whether you may need support before starting your programme of study. You should look at the types of support UWE Bristol currently offers to see if they fit your needs. If there are extra requirements or support you think you will need that are not mentioned then you should contact Disability Service to discuss your needs further.

Related documents

Back to top