Guidance for current students

Please follow the below steps if you are a current student at UWE Bristol and would like to receive support and reasonable adjustments for an impairment, mental health condition, Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) or medical condition.

To enable us to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your impairment or medical condition. Evidence required and how to submit it is outlined below. 

Impairment, mental health condition or medical condition

We will require appropriate evidence of your condition in the form of a GP or consultant letter. How recent your evidence needs to be depends on the impairment or medical condition, so please send any evidence you have and we will advise.

Your evidence should contain:

  • confirmation that you have a physical impairment or mental health condition that has a substantial and long term negative effect on your ability to carry out normal daily activities
  • the length of time the condition or impairment has been present and whether it is likely to last for a long time
  • effects on study that are observed or predicted at this time eg. any mobility issues, sleep disturbance resulting in fatigue, concentration problems, lack of motivation, difficulties with taking notes etc.

You will be required to cover the costs of any reports or letters.

To submit evidence please email a copy to

Specific Learning Difficulty (including dyslexia)

We will require a SpLD diagnostic assessment as evidence.

Your diagnostic assessment evidence should:

  • show confirmation that you have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) eg Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, ADD or ADHD
  • state that the report meets the ‘SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines for Assessment of SpLDs in Higher Education’
  • show that the assessment was provided by a psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher.

UWE Bristol provides diagnostic assessments and you are responsible for paying the full amount. However, there is a diagnostic fund available that may reduce the full amount for current UWE Bristol students. To book or enquire about the cost, please email, call +44 (0)117 32 83396 or visit 1D15 on Frenchay Campus.

If you already have evidence of your SpLD/s, submit a copy to

Once we have the appropriate evidence, we can put adjustments in place for you which could include extra time in exams and permission to record lectures, for example. There is a range of support that might be available to you.

Some reasonable adjustments will be put in place automatically when we have received appropriate evidence from you. Other non-standard reasonable adjustments may need to be discussed with your faculty and other UWE Bristol services. We may also need to speak with you about these.

Apply for funding for equipment and support

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are provided by your funding body. Depending on your needs, DSAs funding may cover such things as study skills tuition, mentoring, equipment etc.

DSAs are non-means tested and non-refundable and would be available alongside any other funding you may receive.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. Contact an Information Point for more information.

Assistive technology

To explore support and equipment, including assistive technology, please have a look at our webpages, and then make an appointment with Disability Service by contacting an Information Point.

Other support

Look at the wide range of other support available at UWE Bristol. You may wish to access study skills support including workshops and online advice and tutorials.

Contact an Information Point if you need advice or guidance about any of the above, or are simply unsure about what to do to get support for your condition/s.

Back to top