Diagnostic assessment for SpLDs and ADHD
If you think that you have an Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) or Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), support may be available to help you with studying.
What is a diagnostic assessment?
- find out if you have dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, ADHD or other SpLDs
- identify reasonable adjustments that could be made to your course eg extra time in exams
- help you access appropriate support eg one-to-one specialist study skills tuition and/or assistive technology.
How do I book?
Please call Access West of England (AWE) on +44(0)117 328 3396.
What is involved in the assessment?
- You will carry out tasks that help identify your strengths and weaknesses. They look at a range of skills eg reading, writing, and memory.
- You and the assessor will explore your background such as your experiences through school.
- It will take between two and four hours.
What should I bring?
- Any documents relating to previous support and/or diagnosis
- Prescription glasses, if you wear them for reading
- A pen that you're comfortable using
- Any other aids you use for reading (excluding computer-based programmes)
How much does it cost?
Please call the Access West of England (AWE) Admin Team on +(0)117 328 3396 for costs.
- If you're a UWE Bristol student there will be a substantial reduction of the full cost.
- If you cannot meet the cost of your contribution you can apply for help through the UWE Bristol Student Hardship Grant.
- If you're a student from UWE Bristol’s International College you will need to meet the complete cost.
You will pay for your assessment before you are assessed, so this cost will not change whether or not there is an SpLD outcome.
What happens after the assessment?
- AWE will talk you through your next steps. If you are assessed away from the office or out of office hours, they will email you your next steps. These may include information about:
- Your assessor will email your diagnostic report to you within ten working days of the assessment.
- For UWE Bristol students, the AWE Admin Team will process a copy of your report and pass this to Disability Services to make sure any reasonable adjustments are put in place.
If you have another disability/condition that you want support for you can: