Types of support

Introduction to types of support

In order to meet the needs of individual students, specialist equipment and software may be available to disabled students through either Disability Service or Disabled Students Allowances. For further information about support, please see the information below. More information is available in the Student Services section. If you have any questions, please contact Disability Service.


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose a disability, long-term health condition or any support needs they might have. This information is important as it can help to identify any appropriate support that is needed. You could either disclose your disability at one of the Information Points or make an appointment with a Disability Adviser. This is essential if you require exam adjustments or wish to receive any support with your studies whilst you are at UWE Bristol.

Privacy policy

We understand that you may be concerned about disclosing information about yourself or your condition. Please be assured that all information you provide is confidential and is shared only with those directly involved in your support arrangements with your consent. If we are fully aware of your needs we will be better equipped to ensure you are supported.

Please see our privacy policy for more information on data protection and confidentiality at UWE Bristol.

To find out what disability support we offer please take a look at the headings below.

Accessing UWE Bristol's website

See the BBC My web my way guide for advice on getting the most out of accessibility features and assistive technologies for your computer. The other accessibility features of UWE Bristol's web pages are described in the accessibility link that you will find at the bottom of every UWE Bristol web page.


The University has residential accommodation on Frenchay Campus which has been adapted for disabled students. All rooms within the Student Village are wheelchair accessible. Rooms with a visual fire alarm and socket for vibrating pad alarm are also available if you have a hearing impairment.

If you are insulin dependent you can be provided with a separate fridge in your university accommodation to keep your medication.

Additional adaptations may be made on an individual basis, subject to resources. Disabled students who make UWE Bristol their first choice when applying for courses are given priority when allocating rooms.

There are 39 places available at Frenchay Student Village. You can be allocated a further bedroom space for a carer. However, you will be liable for the rent of the additional room. It is also possible to accommodate guide dogs. These arrangements must, where possible, be made at least three months before the beginning of term.

Disabled students allocated university accommodation in their first year may be able to stay in the same accommodation for the duration of their course. However, it is advisable to contact Accommodation Services to discuss this further.

To find out more information please visit the accommodation section.

Alternative formats

The University libraries provide an Alternative Formats service for students who have difficulty accessing printed books or journals.

Printed texts from your core reading list can be converted into PDF, Word, DAISY book, large-font reprint, and braille.

Assistive technology and equipment at UWE Bristol

The University also has some specialist equipment and software in the libraries and in some faculty labs. This includes screen readers, screen magnifiers, scanners and braille embossers. All students are welcome to use these resources, depending on availability.

However, if it is likely that you will need long term or personal use of specialist software or equipment, we recommend that you apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).

The following assistive programs are available on most student and staff computers at UWE Bristol.


  • TextHelp Read and Write text-to-speech software
  • Inspiration mind mapping software


  • ClaroRead text-to-speech software
  • Claroview screen tinting software
  • Claro Capture, assists with collecting information
  • Screen Ruler (reduces tracking difficulties when reading)
  • Inspiration mind mapping software

Further information and guides about assistive technology at UWE Bristol are available.

Support workers

  • The Disability Service can help link you to different types of support workers including library support, BSL interpreters and practical support.
  • The Dyslexia and SpLD Service can provide specialist study skills support to students.
  • UWE Bristol also has a Wellbeing Service which offers specialist mentor support.

View more information on arranging support in our how to access support section.

Study skills and library services

All UWE Bristol libraries offer a specific service to disabled users. More information about this is available in the leaflet 'UWE Library Services for Disabled Users' available in the libraries or via Disability Service (1D15). The library service has staff who can tell you how the service can be adapted to meet specific needs. This includes help to reserve and collect books, use specialist equipment (such as scanners and CCTV), photocopy, and convert material to alternative formats.

The library also runs a remote access system. To find out more about this service please contact us.

The University also gives help or advice about developing effective study skills. More information is available from the Study support section. It includes specific study skills tuition sessions and essay writing workshops, which are available to all students. If you experience difficulties with organisation, time management and structuring work you may find this extra support particularly useful.

Course requirements

You can find details of your course, including content, assessment arrangements, modules and placements, using the course-finding utility.

If you wish to discuss any disability issues, please contact Disability Service to arrange an appointment with a Disability Adviser. View our contact details.


Some courses at the University involve compulsory placements. If yours does, this may mean you need specific arrangements or support whilst on a placement. You should first get in touch with Disability Service or the Placements Team to discuss your needs.

Disabled car parking

Most of the car parks at UWE Bristol contain widened disabled bays. Car park seven on Frenchay Campus offers designated parking for disabled users on a swipe card access system. This car park is located centrally and allows easy access to the main university buildings. If you require disabled parking you will need to contact Disability Service.

Students living on campus will not be able to park on campus, and neither will students who live in the postcode exclusion zoneCertain circumstances may be considered as exceptions.

Please contact Disability Service for further information about disabled parking.

Exams and controlled assessments

Read the reasonable adjustments document for UWE Bristol’s full policy and procedure.

If you have a disability and appropriate medical evidence, you may be entitled to exam adjustments. Some of these may include:

  • extra time
  • rest breaks
  • use of a computer
  • a separate or smaller room
  • a reader and/or scribe
  • exam papers or answer booklets in a different format
  • ergonomic furniture.

Exceptional adjustments to other assessments might include:

  • alternative assessment
  • presenting to a smaller audience.

Standard adjustments will be arranged where we have received your study needs assessment and you will be informed to check this in your MyUWE record. For exceptional adjustments these will be arranged on an individual basis through a meeting/telephone conversation with a disability adviser. If you think you are entitled to some adjustments to your exams or concerned about meeting the requirements of an assessment and would like to find out more, please contact us.

Please refer to the exams section for information regarding exam adjustment deadlines.

Coursework and reasonable adjustment

Funding, including Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

If you are a UK student, you will probably be able to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances in order to fund your disability-related study support. Students on certain programmes or who are studying part time may not be eligible, along with European Union and other international students.

However, please note that Disabled Students' Allowances only help with costs and support directly related to study. Any support you may need that is not study related (ie support you would need whether studying or not) will need to be provided from other sources. Our Disabled Student Funding information can give you more advice on disability benefits and allowances.

Medical services

All students are advised to register with a local medical practice while attending UWE Bristol. You may find it convenient to register with the University Health Centre on Frenchay campus.

Full details of all GP practices in the area are available on the NHS website.

Related documents

Back to top