A student and her parents talking to a UWE Bristol Ambassador

Information for parents, guardians and friends

Support for concerned parents, guardians and friends who are looking out for the welfare of their loved ones.

The transition to university can present several challenges for students adjusting to independent living, academic, and social life, without the comfort of close friends and relatives.

Common issues that many students find difficult include:

  • shared accommodation
  • independent living
  • homesickness
  • making new friends
  • course content.

Over time you may find that the initial difficulties faced by the student settle with the support of those around them.

For further details regarding how you can provide support, please view our information on preparing students for university life.

What can I do?

  • Be supportive  
  • Help to manage expectations
  • Listen and take time to talk
  • Reassure that anxiety is normal
  • Talk through personal goals
  • Encourage to seek support

The Look After Your Mate guide from Student Minds has some really helpful information and resources for people supporting others with mental health difficulties.

There are some instances in which the student may need support from the Wellbeing Service. If you think that the student you are concerned about could benefit from Wellbeing Services, please ask them to look at the resources in the Wellbeing Service section and encourage them register via the wellbeing registration form.

  • In term time, we are open Monday to Thursday 08:30–17:00 and Friday 08:30–16:30.
  • Outside of term time, we are open Monday to Thursday 08:30–16:30 and Friday 08:30–16:00.

You can contact us at +44(0) 117 32 862 68 or wellbeing@uwe.ac.uk.

Things to look out for

You may have cause for concern, or strongly suspect something is wrong, if you become aware of any of the following:

  • wanting to go home every weekend
  • persistent emotional behavior
  • a close bereavement affecting study
  • missing classes and deadlines
  • poor self-care.

The Samaritans have produced a Help a Friend in Need guide with advice on what to do if you are concerned about a friend, colleague or student. They also have resources to help if:

University support network

UWE Bristol has a large network to support students whilst they complete their studies including:

  • Accommodation Managers
  • Student Support Advisors
  • Peer Assisted Learning
  • Information Point Advisors
  • Disability Advisors
  • Security and Campus Police.

All of these services are available to students to help them feel safe, secure and supported at the University.

Find out more about the Wellbeing Service

Please contact us if you would like to know more about how we can support you.

Emergency/out-of-hours contacts

If you are a parent, carer or family member with urgent concerns about the welfare of a UWE Bristol student, please call:

  • +44(0)7788 725507 (Monday-Thursday 8:30-17:00, Friday 8:30-16:30)
  • +44(0)7814 791212 (out of hours and weekends).
  • Police/ambulance services: call 999 in case of emergency (call 101 for non-emergency issues).
  • Samaritans: for a 24-hour listening service, call 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org.
  • Bristol Mental Health Crisis Service: call 0300 55 0334 for 24-hour support. Students can self-refer, or you can call on their behalf. 
  • Bristol Mind: call their confidential helpline on 0808 808 0330 (open Wednesday to Sunday from 08:00-14:00).
  • Out-of-hours GP: call 111 for out-of hours NHS services.

Back to top