Invest in your mental health by developing your resilience through Resilient U.
What is resilience?
Resilience is the ability to bounce back, better than before, from life’s challenges. By investing in your resilience you develop your self-empowerment, are better equipped to develop a good support network and are much more able to learn from life’s challenges.
- Self-empowerment: With a greater sense of self-empowerment, when times get tough, you’re better equipped try to manage/fix it yourself, or get yourself into an emotional state where you can talk to others who can support or help you.
- Support network: With the support of others you’re much better prepared to deal with challenges, positively, in the future. Being supported can help you remain calm, rationalise situations or help you to manage or fix the problems you encounter.
- Learning: Once you’ve managed or dealt with your challenges, learning how to learn from your actions allows you to takes positive steps to deal with challenges in the future or, prevent them from happening.
Resilient U workshops
Our resilience workshops teach you a proactive approach to building your confidence at university and beyond.
They are led by students and have been develop to help you build the confidence you need to succeed at university and in life. You’ll learn life skills of resilience and be more able to tackle the challenges that come your way.
We’ve created a short video outlining the seven skills of resilience.
What happens in a workshop
- When you attend a workshop you’ll be introduced to the concept of resilience and the three life skills, so everyone is on the same page.
- So that you can talk about resilience in a practical way without sharing your own story, we work through a case study and discuss how resilience could be used effectively.
- We look at the skills needed for resilience; self-empowerment, support and learning to find how to practically apply them to your life.
Why attend a workshop?
Throughout your time at university you’ll face many challenges – from transitioning into university, independent living, meeting new people, managing your studies, delivering presentations, taking exams as well as juggling your social/work life. All of this can prove to be very challenging and can undermine your ability to cope.
Our workshops have been designed to help you managing more effectively, the challenges that you may face and serve to support the development of your personal resilience and coping strategies. They’re interactive and discussion-based so you don’t need to know anything about resilience before attending. We can assure you that, they will give you the skills and knowledge you need to start the process of making positive changes to your life.
To date, 75% of attendees at a Resilient U session gave a rating of 4/5 or 5/5.
“Thank you for the session. It made me feel normal because
everyone struggles sometimes.”
Bower Ashton student
“I found the workshop useful and eye opening. I feel able to
better deal with exams now”
How to take part
You can find all the Resilient U workshops through InfoHub. Please note you’ll have to log in to InfoHub to book your place on a workshop.Book onto a Resilient U workshop
The Wellbeing Service has developed a number of self-help resources on various topics commonly discussed in counselling. Please refer to these self-help resources for additional information and advice.
You can also download the SAM anxiety app.
Resilience in the news
View media coverage of UWE Bristol's Wellbeing Service.