Student sat on a bench reading

Managing minor illness

Treatment of minor illnesses

Minor illnesses, whilst uncomfortable, are not serious and usually settle without any treatment within a week or so. If you think you do need treatment for minor ailments such as coughs and colds, mild eczema, and athlete's foot, they could be treated by going to your pharmacy rather than a GP, saving yourself time and trouble.

All pharmacists can recognise many common health complaints. They can give advice or, where appropriate, medicines that will help to clear up the problem. If your problem is more serious and needs the attention of a GP, your pharmacist can advise you of this.

Where to go for treatment

Your local pharmacy

Your pharmacist may be able to help with:

GP or walk-in centre

Go to your GP or a walk-in centre for:

  • muscle and joint injuries, including strains and sprains
  • minor cuts
  • minor burns and scalds
  • bites or infected wounds
  • suspected broken bones.

You can also use the NHS health A-Z conditions and treatments guide for information and advice on symptoms, conditions and treatments.

Healthcare support

If you have any concerns, contact the University Health Centre or book an appointment. Please note that you will need to register first before you can book an appointment. If booking with the University Health Centre is not convenient, you could also find a health service in your local area.

Please take a look at our Wellbeing Service if you feel that you need support with your mental health and personal development needs.

If you need sexual health guidance please take a look at the Sexual health guidance.

Back to top