Person receiving treatment from nurses for a sprained wrist

Urgent medical care


If there's an emergency on campus call 0117 32 89999 (available 24/7, every day of the year). Put this number in your phone. We'll send staff to help and we'll call the emergency services for you so that they can find you quickly. If you're off campus, call 999.

Feeling unwell

If you are feeling generally unwell during term time, please contact the University Health Centre in the first instance (please note that you will need to register first), or your local GP.  

Minor injuries

For treatment for minor cuts, burns, scalds and bites and suspected broken bones, you can go to the walk-in centre or Southmead Hospital Minor Injuries Unit. Both are open until 20:00 (18:00 at weekends).

  • Broadmead GP Walk-In Centre
    59 Broadmead (in Boots)
    BS1 3EA
    Tel:  +44 (0)117 954 9828
  • Southmead Hospital
    BS10 5NB
    Tel: +44 (0)117 323 5100

Major injuries

Go to the A&E (Accident and Emergency) department of Southmead hospital. A&E departments are very busy, so if you have a minor medical issue, you may have to wait a significant time for treatment or you may be directed to one of the services above.

You should go to A&E for:

  • suturing or wound and dressing care
  • lacerations, cuts, fractures, severe sprains and strains
  • head injuries or loss of consciousness
  • broken bones or heavy blood loss
  • persistent chest pain or difficulty breathing.

Please think carefully before you attend A&E.

Southmead Hospital
Southmead Road
BS10 5NB
Tel: +44 (0)117 950 5050

Dental problems

To find your nearest NHS dentist, call the Dental Helpline on +44(0)845 120 6680 or search for a dentist online.

Latest guidance

Back to top