Student working in a PC suite

Registering on your programme and delayed funding

Are you still waiting for your funding application to be processed? You may have just applied for funding or you may be affected by delays with processing at Student Finance. Read on for further related information.

How can I register without my funding in place?

You can register online via myUWE before your Student Finance notification of entitlement arrives. We display the latest information we have on your tuition fee loan in the fees page.

You should continue to log on to myUWE until the end of the registration period, as the University receives information on new assessments from the Student Finance every day. Click on the 'Calculate fees' button from the 'Payment required' page to access the fees page.

If you have not received confirmation of your funding, or believe there will be a delay, you must follow the link below to submit your 11-digit Student Finance customer reference number (CRN). This is available at the top of all correspondence from Student Finance, or via the Student Finance Application Portal. The CRN collection page is available from 1 August each year.

You will also need your UWE Bristol student number and the date that you applied for your fee loan or the date of the latest correspondence from Student Finance about your application (this will be your ‘Loan Date’).

Once you have provided your Student Finance customer reference number and your UWE Bristol student number, you will be registered on to your course on the basis that your fee loan will be paid to UWE Bristol shortly. To avoid being invoiced to pay the fees for your course in November, it is essential that you complete this process.

What should I do when I receive my notification of entitlement?

Check your registration status by logging on to myUWE and selecting the 'Registration' tab.  If you are fully funded for tuition fees by Student Finance and we have received details of that funding, you will be fully registered.

Remember to keep checking back on myUWE to see if your information has been updated.

Please note: If you receive your notification of entitlement and it does not show UWE Bristol as your institution, the University will not receive your funding information from Student Finance, even if you are studying at one of our partner colleges. You can log in to your Student Finance account online to amend the institution on your application. You should do this as soon as possible to ensure the University receives your funding information and your tuition fees.

If your notification of entitlement does not show a tuition fee loan, you will need to make arrangements to pay the tuition fees yourself. If you think you should be entitled to a tuition fee loan, contact Student Finance to find out why you have not been awarded one. If you need help with this, contact a UWE Bristol Money Adviser (see below).

Financial hardship

If you have not received your funding notification, you may be without money for living expenses as well as for your tuition fees. You may find it difficult to pay for essentials such as rent or childcare. Below are suggestions for surviving until your funding arrives in your bank account.

Manage your funding claim

Find out why your funding is delayed. It may be that they can tell you when you are likely to receive your funding through.


Student Finance England

Student Finance Wales

Student Finance N.I.

Phone number

+44 (0)300 100 0607

+44 (0)300 200 4050

+44 (0)300 100 0077

Opening hours

Monday to Friday 08:0020:00

Saturday and Sunday 09:0016:00

Monday to Friday 08:0020:00

Saturday 09:0013:00

Closed on Sunday

Monday to Friday 08:0020:00

Saturday and Sunday 09:0016:00


+44 (0)300 100 0622

+44 (0)300 100 1693

+44 (0)300 100 0625

If you want someone else to contact Student Finance on your behalf, you will need to set up a joint password for you and the third party.

UWE Bristol Money Advisers

If you are experiencing problems obtaining your funding, contact a UWE Bristol Money Adviser by completing an online InfoHub enquiry and the team will respond afterwards. This enquiry will ask you a series of questions about your circumstances so that we are best placed to answer your query as efficiently as possible.

Manage your money

  • If you are unable to pay your rent, contact your housing provider and explain your situation. Give them an idea of when you expect your funding to be paid. The Student Money Service can provide a letter for your landlord explaining the delay see below for contact details. 
  • If you are in UWE Bristol accommodation, email the Income Office at to let them know that your funding is delayed. Set up a direct debit mandate where the first rent payment is made after your funding is paid.
  • Contact your bank to see whether you can access an interest-free student overdraft to keep you going until your funding arrives.
  • Work out your student budget even though your funding is delayed so that you can work out how much money you should be spending. It is important to only borrow what you can afford to repay
  • If possible, see if you can borrow money from family or friends in the short-term.
  • Apply for a short-term loan from the Student Money Service. Visit our financial support section for application forms. Alternatively, you can collect a form from an Information Point or call us on +44 (0)117 32 85678 to request a form to be sent to you.

Please note: You will need to be registered on your course and will only be able to apply after the start of the academic year for your course. Loans are not sufficient to cover rent. They are for living costs only and are usually awarded at a rate of £50 per week towards food and travel.

Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that this information is as accurate as possible. The University cannot accept responsibility for changes affecting the contents which arise after publication of this information.

Back to top