Chefs serving a customer

Part-time work

The level of student funding means that most students will work at some point during their studies. There is often no alternative way of making ends meet.

The University has its own dedicated Students' Union JobShop where you can register to receive details of part-time work even before you start your studies.

How many hours should I work?

If you are a full-time student you may find your studies suffer if you work more than 16 hours a week.

Should I be paying Income Tax and National Insurance contributions?

Students in the UK are liable to pay Income Tax and National Insurance contributions on their earnings just like everyone else.

Do check that the deductions from your wages are correct, especially if you have more than one job. For information on tax and National Insurance contributions, including a tax calculator, visit the HMRC site for student tax advice.

Work arrangements for EU and International Students

All EEA and Swiss nationals can enter and live in the UK without needing to apply for permission, apart from Croation nationals. If you are a Croation national, you might be subject to the Worker Authorisation Scheme. This means you might have to apply for a registration certificate as a student before you can apply for work. Please see the UKCISA website for more information.

If you are not an EU National, there are restrictions on both the number of hours you can work and on the type of work. It is a criminal offence to break these rules. It is important to check the restrictions on work before you start working.

Other helpful information

The Money matters guide will help you understand your financial contract with UWE Bristol and our processes.

Back to top