Events to help you manage your money
The Student Money Service offers a variety of events to help students develop and improve financial skills, knowledge and confidence.
Financial Capability module
What is it?
The module has been designed specifically with our students in mind, to give you the essential financial skills to flourish at university and to be confident and competent with your finances after you have graduated. You will develop essential money skills and gain the confidence to manage your finances effectively. The module blends the practical with the theoretical to help you understand financial management and financial products.
The Financial Capability module, delivered by the Student Money Service’s trained practitioners is part of UWE Bristol Futures Award and all UWE Bristol students are welcome to attend. The module is structured over three themed weekly workshops, and is delivered twice a year - in the autumn and spring terms.
The Financial Capability module won the National Association of Student Money Advisers (NASMA) Financial Capability Engagement Award in June 2018.
How does it work?
Each workshop will cover different topics and provide you with essential money skills to get you confident about your finances, for now and in the future. We provide a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, where you can learn, benefit from input from external speakers (experts in their field) and meet other students. This module takes place on three consecutive Wednesday afternoons between 14:00-17:00 on Frenchay Campus. Each workshop finishes with a quiz and an opportunity to win prizes, and we provide light refreshments. You have to attend all three workshops for it to count towards the Futures Award.
Spring term dates:
- Wednesday 11 March 2020 14:00-17:00, room to be confirmed
- Wednesday 18 March 2020 14:00-17:00 room to be confirmed
- Wednesday 25 March 2020 14:00-17:00 room to be confirmed.
Please book for all three workshops.
- Workshop 1: guest speaker from an award-winning financial service company Hargreaves Lansdown. Joseph Sykes, who works as a Workplace Savings Specialist, will take a look at the basics of investing, saving towards a property and how to budget for life after University. Other areas covered will be attitudes to money, maximising income and reducing expenditure, financial products and student loan. There will be a chance to win a £100 voucher.
- Workshop 2: employment rights, income deductions, tenancy agreements and household costs and bills.
- Workshop 3: what to do if things go wrong financially, your credit rating, dealing with debt and where to seek help.
How to book
Book to attend the workshops via Infohub. Please book for all three workshops:
As a UWE Bristol student, you also have free access to online Blackbullion financial education platform. You can register with Blackbullion using your UWE Bristol email address and start learning straight away.
The Student Money Service team attends a variety of events happening during the year across the UWE Bristol campuses. We run competitions, provide students with money advice and guidance, and raise awareness about the services we offer.
You can find our stall at events like the Accommodation Fair, Employers Fairs, Freshers' Fair, National Student Money Week (3-7 February) and Feel Good February.
We will list events on this page.