Two people having a conversation sat down around a table

Eligibility for carers

This page explains more about the support that you can receive from UWE Cares if you’re a carer for someone in your family.

UWE Cares pastoral support

If you provide regular daily care to a disabled or ill family member, you’re eligible to access the UWE Cares pastoral support package. This includes a designated point of contact for queries, help to access other services like health and wellbeing, careers and study support, social events, drop-ins and our monthly newsletter.

UWE Cares Bursary and 365-day accommodation

You may be eligible for financial and accommodation support if:

  • you’ve been providing significant daily care to a disabled or ill family member up to the start of your course
  • you’ve lived at the same address as the person you care for before coming to study at UWE Bristol
  • the person you care for receives one of the following benefits:
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit that includes a disability premium as part of the assessment
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Employment and Support Allowance
    • Personal Independence Payment or Tax Credits that include a disability element.

You must also:

  • be entering year one of an undergraduate degree, studying at least 30 credits per year
  • be entitled to funding for fees and living costs from Student Finance England, Wales, or Northern Ireland
  • be entitled to and be taking out the full tuition fee loan or comparable funding
  • be assessed by student finance as having a household annual income of under £25,000
  • not be in receipt of a full or part sponsorship (for example from an employer) for your tuition fees.

There is no age limit, so carers of any age can apply for the UWE Cares Bursary and 365-day accommodation if you meet the above eligibility.

Advice and assessment

We’ll need to assess your eligibility and see that you’re a carer for you to access these two aspects of UWE Cares support. You’ll have to provide us with evidence that you’re a carer.

Please contact the UWE Cares Team at to find out more about the evidence you’ll need to provide.

Student finance for carers

  • Student finance bodies don’t treat carers differently to other students.
  • Loans from your student finance body will be assessed according to your household income. Your parent/s’ income will be assessed if you’re under 25.

Get support

You can apply for financial support from your funding body:

If you have any questions please contact us at

Back to top