Eligibility for care leavers
This page explains more about the support that you can receive from UWE Cares if you’re a care leaver.
UWE Cares pastoral support
If you’ve lived in foster care or supported housing and not returned to live with your parents, you’re eligible to access the UWE Cares pastoral support package. This includes a designated point of contact for queries, help to access other services like health and wellbeing, careers and study support, social events, drop-ins and our monthly newsletter.
UWE Cares Bursary and 365-day accommodation
You may be eligible for financial and accommodation support if:
- you’ve been in the care of or been given accommodation by the local authority (council) for at least 12 weeks between ages of 11 and 16, or
- you’ve lived in local authority (council) supported housing between ages 16 and 18 and
- you haven’t returned to live with your parents since leaving care or supported housing.
You must also:
- be entering year one of an undergraduate degree, studying at least 30 credits per year
- be entitled to funding for fees and living costs from Student Finance England, Wales, or Northern Ireland
- be entitled to and be taking out the full tuition fee loan or comparable funding
- be assessed by student finance as having a household annual income of under £25,000
- not be in receipt of a full or part sponsorship (for example from an employer) for your tuition fees.
There’s no age limit, so care leavers of any age may be able to access the UWE Cares Bursary and 365-day accommodation if you meet the above eligibility.
Advice and assessment
We’ll need to assess your eligibility and see that you’re a care leaver for you to access these two aspects of UWE Cares support. Please read our advice for applicants and apply for your student finance as soon as possible, so we can assess you.
If you don’t meet the above criteria but have experience of living in care, contact UWE Cares by emailing UWECares@uwe.ac.uk. We look at cases on an individual basis.
Student finance for care leavers
Student finance bodies will define you as a care leaver if:
- you’re under 25 on the first day of your course
- you’ve been in the care of or been given accommodation by the local authority (council) for at least 13 weeks before the age of 16
- you haven’t been reconciled with your parents between leaving care and starting your course.
You can apply for financial support from your funding body:
If you have any questions please contact us at UWECares@uwe.ac.uk.