A student working on a laptop

Income assessment for the UWE Bursary 2017

Information about the 2018/19 UWE Bursary for new students will be available later on in August 2018.

Income assessment for full-time students

Student Finance England (SFE) assess your household income to calculate your entitlement to student funding. With your consent and that of your parents or partner, details of your household income from a previous financial year are sent to the University.

Household income details for full-time students

With your consent and that of your parents or partner, details of your household income from the 2015/16 financial year are sent to the University.

When the final figures arrive, we can assess your entitlement to the bursary. This is an automatic process and you do not need to do anything.

Please note: If we are unable to view your income from Student Finance then we will contact you by email doing the first few weeks of term.

We aim to allocate the bursaries by the first few weeks of term. It is important to apply for your funding from Student Finance England as soon as you can. If we have not had your residual income through by the date of allocation, we will not be able to award you a bursary.

Please note: For the purpose of allocating the bursaries, we have to use the confirmed 2015/16 income figures from SFE. If your household income has dropped below £25,000 since the 2015/16 financial year, it is important to request a ‘current year assessment’ from Student Finance to increase your funding.

Although your funding may increase, it will not produce bursary entitlement. We are not able to use the income from the current financial year as this income is not confirmed by SFE until April 2018, which is too late for the allocation of the bursary.

Income assessment for part-time students

We will contact you in the summer before your course starts to confirm that your income is below £25,000. 

You will need to provide evidence of benefit entitlement or evidence of your (and where appropriate partner’s) gross income.


If you are receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Local Housing Allowance
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)  
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Please provide a recent award letter (dated 2017) or a letter from the Local Council or the DWP confirming entitlement.

Gross taxable income details

If you do not receive benefits, please provide evidence of your gross taxable income for the 2015/16 financial year. This can include P60s, confirmation of income if you are self-employed and/or wage slips.

We ignore the following part of your income if you live with a partner or children:

  • £2,000 allowance for the student’s partner
  • £2,000 for an only or eldest dependent child
  • £1,000 each for any subsequent dependent children.

We ignore Child Benefit and Tax Credits. 

Please email UWE.Bursary@uwe.ac.uk if you have any queries.

Back to top