A student working on a laptop

Income assessment for the UWE Bursary

This information is for new students beginning courses in the 2018/19 academic year.

Income assessment for full-time students

Student Finance England (SFE) assess your household income to calculate your entitlement to student funding. With your consent and that of your parents or partner, details of your household income from a previous financial year are sent to the University.

Household income details for full-time students

For the 18/19 academic year, UWE Bristol will provide bursaries through the Higher Education Bursaries and Scholarships Scheme (HEBSS).

For the purpose of allocating the bursaries, HEBSS use the confirmed 2017/18 income figures from SFE. If your household income has dropped below £25,000 since the 2017/18 financial year, it is important to request a ‘current year assessment’ from Student Finance to increase your funding.

We aim to allocate the bursaries by the first few weeks of term. It is important to apply for your funding from Student Finance England as soon as you can. If we have not had your residual income through by the date of allocation, we will not be able to award you a bursary.

Income assessment for part-time students

We will contact you in the summer before your course starts to confirm that your income is below £25,000. 

You will need to provide evidence of benefit entitlement or evidence of your (and where appropriate partner’s) gross income.


If you are receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Local Housing Allowance
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)  
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Please provide a recent award letter (dated 2018) or a letter from the Local Council or the DWP confirming entitlement.

Gross taxable income details

If you do not receive benefits, please provide evidence of your gross taxable income for the 2017/18 financial year. This can include P60s, confirmation of income if you are self-employed and/or wage slips.

We ignore the following part of your income if you live with a partner or children:

  • £2,000 allowance for the student’s partner
  • £2,000 for an only or eldest dependent child
  • £1,000 each for any subsequent dependent children.

We ignore Child Benefit and Tax Credits. 

Please email UWE.Bursary@uwe.ac.uk if you have any queries.

Back to top