A female student with a cup of coffee

Evidence for the bursary and payment

Information about the 2018/19 UWE Bursary for new students will be available later on in August 2018.

If you accepted an offer to UWE Bristol for the academic year 2017/18, you will automatically be considered for the UWE Bursary. We will contact you during the summer and the first term. If you feel that you meet the criteria for the Enhanced Bursary or the Childcare Bursary please provide the required evidence, as described below.

Information required

Part-time students

We will contact part-time students in the summer and during the first term to request evidence of income.

See the information about income assessment.

The Enhanced Bursary

Care Leavers

If you have ticked the Care Leaver box on the UCAS application, we will contact you shortly after you have accepted your offer to ask you to provide a letter from your social worker that confirms the date that you were in care or supported housing. Please email us at uwe.bursary@uwe.ac.uk if you’d like to discuss this further.

Find out more about support and funding available for care leavers.

Estranged students

Please contact us at uwe.bursary@uwe.ac.uk to discuss the third-party evidence that you can provide to confirm your status. This will be the same evidence that you will need to provide to Student Finance England to establish independent status. This is usually a letter from a GP, teacher or other professional.

Read about support and funding available for estranged students.


Carers will need to provide:

  1. An award notice for the qualifying benefit (dated 2017/18) for the person that you provide care for. This will need to show the same address from which you applied to UWE Bristol and
  2. Evidence that you are providing regular and ongoing daily care. This should be confirmation from a third party such as a GP, teacher, carers network or similar organisation.

If you are unable to provide this then please provide a letter from your relative confirming that you are providing care, plus a letter from you that details the care you provide.

If you are having any difficulties providing the evidence, or if the relative that you provide care for does not receive one of the benefits, please email us on UWE.Bursary@uwe.ac.uk to discuss your situation.

View more about support and funding available for carers.

Childcare Bursary

You will need to provide evidence that they are responsible for a child under the age of 14. This can be the 2017 award letter for either child benefit or tax credit.

One Childcare Bursary will be paid per eligible student, regardless of the number of children.

Low Income Bursary

You will not need to provide any income details to us – this will come directly from Student Finance England and we will not require any further evidence from you. If we cannot access your income then we will contact you by email to your UWE Bristol email account to try and resolve the issue.


We aim to allocate the bursaries during the first term. We will be in touch with you over the summer and in the first few weeks of term if we require any information from you to help with our allocation.

Bursary payments

2017/18 bursary payment dates

The £2,000 bursary is paid in three equal instalments:

  • 17 November 2017
  • 16 February 2018
  • 18 May 2018

The £500 Low Income bursary will be paid in one instalment on 16 February 2018.

These payment dates are non-amendable.

Back to top