Students sat working at desks on Frenchay Campus

Full-time Home (UK) student funding (2018/19 entry)

The information below is a broad overview of funding for the 2018/19 academic year. It's important to check out your own funding situation by referring to the official Student Finance web pages.

Student Finance England funding

This information is for students living in England looking to apply for funding from Student Finance England (SFE). Don't forget to check whether you're eligible for the UWE Bursary.

Other funding bodies

You can get information on the funding available for students from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales from Student Awards Agency for Scotland, Student Finance Northern Ireland, and Student Finance Wales.

Apply for funding

Applications opened in February 2018 for the 2018/19 entry. You can apply for your funding even after your course has begun, but if you want to ensure your funding application is processed before the start of your course so that you have your money on day one you must submit your application online by Friday 25 May 2018.

See our top tips for making a funding application.

Student funding video guides

Please watch Student Finance England’s video guides for information on eligibility for student funding, how to apply and on how student loan repayment works.

Funding sources

Tuition fee support

You can apply for a non means-tested loan up to the maximum of £9,250 each year to cover the full amount of your tuition fees. Alternatively, you can choose to borrow a lesser amount (or none) and pay the difference (or all of your tuition fees) up front each year. Eligibility for the loan may be affected if you've previously studied in higher education, even if you paid the fees yourself. View details on previous study and Student Finance funding.

The fee loan is paid directly to the University.

The maintenance loan

You can apply for a means-tested loan of up to £8,700 each year for your living expenses which is paid into your bank account at the beginning of each term. If you live with your parents during your studies, the maximum loan is £7,324.

As UWE Bristol’s academic year is longer than 30 weeks each year, our students will receive an additional amount of loan each year, taking this total means-tested loan for living expenses up to £9,165 each year, or up to £7,629 each year if you live with your parents during your studies.

Your parents' or partner's household income can reduce this living cost loan. So to work out how much you could get, you need to know whose income and what portion of that income counts.

Finance at a glance

The tables below provide an indicator of the student finance package you may be entitled to if you’re a full-time undergraduate student either living away from home during your studies, or living at home.

I intend to live away from home during my studies

Household income Maintenance loan paid in three instalments - one at the start of each term Max tuition fee loan Max amount borrowed, excluding interest
£25,000 and under £8,700 £9,250 £17,950
£30,000 £8,076 £9,250 £17,326
£35,000 £7,452 £9,250 £16,702
£40,000 £6,828 £9,250 £16,078
£42,875 £6,469 £9,250 £15,719
£45,000 £6,204 £9,250 £15,454
£50,000 £5,579 £9,250 £14,829
£55,000 £4,955 £9,250 £14,205
£60,000 £4,331 £9,250 £13,581
£62,215 and over £4,054 £9,250 £13,304

I intend to live at home during my studies

Household income Maintenance loan paid in three instalments one at the start of each term Max tuition fee loan Max amount borrowed, excluding interest
£25,000 and under £7,324 £9,250 £16,574
£30,000 £6,707 £9,250 £15,957
£35,000 £6,090 £9,250 £15,340
£40,000 £5,473 £9,250 £14,723
£42,875 £5,118 £9,250 £14,723
£45,000 £4,855 £9,250 £14,105
£50,000 £4,238 £9,250 £13,488
£55,000 £3,621 £9,250 £12,871
£58,215 and over £3,224 £9,250 £12,474

If you're a lone parent or a student in receipt of either DLA or PIP, you may be entitled to a larger loan.  For more information, see Student parents or Disabled students.

Find out whether you're eligible for the UWE Bursary.

Finance for a placement year

The tuition fees charged and the funding available is different if you take a placement year as part of your degree.

Tuition fees

The tuition fees for your placement year are between £1,125 and £1,800. You can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the fees.

Living costs funding

If you're on a paid or unpaid placement, you're eligible for a reduced living cost loan of £2,635 (£1,976) if living with your parents). However, if you're on an unpaid placement in one of the following institutions, you'll be eligible for the full package of funding as for a standard year of study:

  • A hospital or in a public health service laboratory or with a clinical commissioning group in the UK
  • A local authority in the UK acting in the exercise of its functions relating to the care of children and young persons health or welfare, or with a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out activities of a similar nature in the UK.
  • A local authority acting in the exercise of public health functions.
  • The prison or probation and aftercare service in the UK.  
  • A UK institution doing unpaid research.  
  • A Special Health Authority, the NHS Commissioning Board, the National Institute for Care and Excellence, the Health and Social Care Information Centre, a Local Health Board, a Health Board or a Special Health Board in Scotland, or a Health and Social Services Board in Northern Ireland.
  • Unpaid service in the UK Parliament

Please note: Students on placements are not eligible for Disabled Students Allowances.

Other financial support for paid placements

If you're over 25 and working 30 hours or more, you may be eligible for working tax credits. This can include help with childcare costs. 

For help with obtaining a placement, see our placement section.

Social Work Bursary

If you're studying a Social Work programme you may be eligible, on top of the funding described above, for a Social Work Bursary in years two and three of your course. The residency requirements for the Bursary restrict eligibility to English resident students studying at UWE Bristol. The Bursary is provided by NHS Business Service Authority (NHSBSA).

The Social Work Bursary is only paid to selected students in years two and three of their course. This will support those unable to work part-time due to course commitments. Students must take 200 days of placements in years two and three.

The number of bursaries will be capped, which means you may not receive a bursary even if you've successfully passed year one, although you may be eligible for help with placement travel expenses.

How much is the Bursary?

The Social Work Bursary is £4,862.50 for the 2018/19 academic year. 

Practice placement travel expenses

A contribution of £862.50 for practice placement travel expenses will be paid to eligible students who do not receive one of the capped bursaries. These expenses will be paid in years two and three.

How to apply for the Social Work Bursary

Please visit the NHSBSA website for eligibility criteria and details of how to apply for the Social Work Bursary.

How will the NHSBSA decide who receives a bursary?

Students will need to:

  • meet the outcomes set out at entry level of the PCF (Professional Capabilities Framework) which is owned by the College of Social Work (TCSW) on behalf of the profession; and
  • have already passed the ‘readiness to practice’ threshold (end of Year one studies) which is part of the PCF; and
  • have experience of the sector eg work related, or user/carer experience; and
  • have other work/life experience related to the sector or likely to be of value to the sector.

If too many students remain after the above criteria are applied, then a range of other relevant factors will be taken into account (eg grades/academic points, attendance, admissions criteria).

The NHSBSA's decision on students' eligibility is final, and there's no appeal process on the bursary.

Student loan repayment

Repaying your student loan

When will I have to start repaying my loan?

If you're a full-time student, you'll start to repay your tuition and maintenance loan in the April after leaving higher education – but only when and if you're earning at least £25,000.

If you're a part-time student, you'll become liable to repay from the April after your fourth year of study, but only if you're earning over £25,000.

What if I earn less than £25,000?

If, for any reason, your income falls below £25,000, your repayments will be suspended.

Is interest charged on these loans?

Yes. The maximum interest rate is inflation rate (also known as retail price index) + 3%. Inflation rate is currently 3.1%. This rate is applied during your studies and until the April after you graduate.

After you complete your course, (or after the fourth year of study as a part-time student), the interest rate will depend on your graduate earnings. The maximum is inflation rate + 3% and the minimum is inflation rate only.

How much will I be repaying each month?

Repayments will be 9% of income above £25,000, so the amount repaid each month will depend on earnings. For example, someone earning £25,500 would initially make repayments of just £4 per month.

How much will my degree actually cost?

If you borrow the maximum fee and maintenance loan for each year of a three-year course, your outstanding balance will be £53,850. The interest accrued during your studies will be just over £6,569 (based on an RPI of 3.1%). How much of this student loan debt you'll actually repay – ie how much your degree will cost you – will depend on how much you earn as a graduate in the 30 years after you graduate.

The table below illustrates how much of your student loan debt you would repay in total, over a 30-year period, based on the following income levels. The higher your graduate earnings, the more you repay. The lower your graduate earnings, the less you repay. Any outstanding student loan debt is then completely written off.

Income Net monthly income Monthly repayment Annual repayment Total estimated repayment Repayment ends after
£20,000 £1,397 £0 £0 £0 30 years
£26,000 £1,737 £7.50 £90 £2,700 30 years
£31,000 £2,020 £45 £540 £16,200 30 years
£36,000 £2,303 £82.50 £990 £29,700 30 years
£41,000 £2,587 £120 £1,440 £43,200 30 years
£46,000 £2,845 £157.50 £1,890 £56,700 30 years
£56,000 £3,382 £232.50 £2,790 £83,700
30 years

Is the repayment earnings threshold likely to change?

The government announced that the earnings threshold will be adjusted annually in line with average earnings.

How do I repay these loans?

You'll be liable to repay from the April after you graduate. You'll remain liable to repay for a maximum of 30 years, or until the loan is paid off – whichever comes first. However, you only repay when you earn more than the repayment threshold of £25,000. The repayment rate is 9% of gross earnings (ie before tax and national insurance deductions) above the threshold.

So as an indication, if you earn £26,000, your monthly repayments would be £7.50. Any outstanding debt will be completely written off after 30 years of liability to repay. The debt will not be passed on to anyone in the event of death.

Back to top