Two female postgraduate students talking

Part-time Home/EU postgraduate student funding (2017/18 entry)

This information relates to 2017/18 entry.

Indicative funding guidance for 2018/19 entry

Please view indicative guidance for 2018/19 entry.

Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL)

PCDLs are loans from a bank for between £300 and £10,000. Only UK residents are eligible for a loan. The main advantage of this scheme is that during your programme and for up to one month afterwards, the interest payments are met by the government. After this time you are required to repay the loan and the interest is then comparable to other commercial loans. These loans are only available to UK residents.

For more information on PCDLs or to speak to a PCDL Adviser visit the Professional and Career Development Loans information on

Please note: That the PCDL scheme is closing to new borrowers in 2019. The final date for submission of applications is Friday 25 January 2019. You must be planning to start a course by 24 March 2019 in order to be eligible for the scheme.

Finance for part-time PGCE programmes

Part-time PGCE students will be covered by the funding arrangements for part-time undergraduate students with access to a tuition fee loan. New part-time students already holding a qualification equivalent or higher in level than their PGCE remain eligible for this support. Please see more details of part-time undergraduate funding.

Fee waivers from UWE Bristol

You will not be eligible to apply for a fee waiver if you are able to obtain a postgraduate loan from Student Finance England for your course. This rule will allow the Waiver Scheme to support students who have no alternative method for paying for their tuition fees.

Please note: Existing recipients of the fee waiver will remain unaffected up until the completion of their current studies, providing they continue to meet the qualifying criteria outlined in point one (below):

  1. Part-time postgraduate students who have been in receipt of a means-tested benefit continuously for at least six months prior to either Saturday 1 September 2018 or Tuesday 1 January 2019 (dependent on your course start date) or
  2. Care leavers can now apply for a fee waiver without needing to be in receipt of the qualifying benefits. To qualify, you must have been in local authority care for three months between the ages of 11 to 16 and not returned to live with parents since then. If you meet this criteria, please let us know by emailing

Eligibility criteria

To qualify for a UWE Bristol fee waiver for your postgraduate part-time course, you need to be:

  • Studying at postgraduate level for the first time. This means that you have not already achieved a qualification at the same level as your new course. If you have a Masters qualification, you can apply for a waiver for a course at PhD level).
  • Considered a UK resident ('home') or EU student for fee purposes and
  • Registered on a designated part-time postgraduate course that lasts for at least one academic year and
  • Registered for 80 credits or fewer and
  • In receipt of a means-tested benefit on Saturday 1 September 2018 (or Tuesday 1 January 2019 if you are starting your programme in January 2019), and continuously for the previous six months or a care leaver.

If you meet the above criteria, UWE Bristol will consider a waiver of 75 per cent of your tuition fees for the 2018/19 academic year.

If you are eligible to apply for the new Postgraduate Loan for Masters Courses, you will not be entitled to the fee waiver.

Please note: The funding available for fee waivers is limited and demand is usually high. We cannot, therefore, guarantee that every eligible student will be awarded a fee waiver.

Which benefits count?

The relevant benefits for this fee waiver are:

  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-based)
  • Pension Credit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based)
  • Housing Benefit or council tax reduction
  • Universal Credit (to include either Income-based JSA/ESA or Income Support or Housing Benefit).

Tax credits do not count as a qualifying benefit for the fee waiver.

How to apply

Care leavers:

If you are a care leaver, please email providing evidence of your status. You do not have to complete an application form.

Receiving means-tested benefits

If you receive means-tested benefits and are starting your course in 2018/19, please download the Postgraduate Fee Waiver form for September 2018 starters.

If you are a January 2019 starter, please download the Postgraduate Fee Waiver form for January 2019 starters.

You will need to get it approved by your benefits office before returning it to the University. You can return it to us by sending it to, handing it in to any Information Point or posting it to:

Student Money Service
1D03, Frenchay Campus
BS16 1QY

Continuing students:

If you are a continuing student who already receives this fee waiver, you will have already been sent an application form by email.

Back to top

Help us to improve our website.   Have your say