Group of students walking through Bristol

Full-time Home/EU postgraduate student funding (PGCE) (2017/18 entry)

Indicative funding guidance for 2018/19 entry

Please view indicative guidance for 2018/19 entry.

Funding for PGCE programmes

If you are an EU student, you are eligible to apply to Student Finance England for the fee loan for your full-time PGCE programme.

If you are a UK student, you are eligible to apply to Student Finance England for the fee loan and living cost support for full-time programmes in the same way as undergraduates. See the undergraduate funding information to find out more.

Training bursaries for 2017

UK and EU students on eligible PGCE courses (who are not employed as a teacher), are eligible to apply for training bursaries. The amount of bursary will be based on the teaching subject and degree class.

How to apply

There will be a link to the application form within the joining instructions which will be sent to you via the Welcome portal over the summer. The Bursary is paid in 10 instalments from October.

Financial incentives for those who train in 2017/18

The table below summarises the standard training bursaries available. This is an overview only and we recommend that you visit the Teaching Agency website for more detailed information and conditions.

Eligibility 2017/2018 Bursaries
 ITT subject/phase Scholarship Trainee with first/PhD 2:1/Masters 2:2
Physics £30,000 £30,000 £25,000 £25,000
Maths £27,500 £25,000 £25,000 £25,000
Computing £27,500 £25,000 £25,000 £25,000
Geography £27,500 £25,000 £25,000 £25,000
Chemistry £27,500 £25,000 £20,000 £20,000
Languages £27,500 £25,000 £25,000 £25,000
Biology £0 £15,000 £12,000 £10,000
English £0 £9,000 £9,000 £0
Primary Maths £0 £6,000 £6,000 £6,000
Design and Technology £0 £12,000 £9,000 £0
Primary £0 £3,000 £0,000 £0
History, Religious Studies, Music £0 £9,000 £4,000 £0

Trainees with degrees from outside the UK

If you hold a degree from outside the UK, please contact UWE Bristol Admissions to help determine your bursary eligibility. You will need to check whether your qualification is comparable to a British Bachelor (honours) degree standard. Alternatively, you can find information on the Teaching Agency website.

Training scholarships for 2017

Trainees in maths, physics, chemistry and computing with a 2:1 or above are able to apply for a teacher training scholarship with the appropriate professional body. For more information see the Teaching Agency website.

Back to top